Sunday, March 05, 2023

ten years

"a mynah lands on the
aircon unit outside.
looks at me
perhaps to ride the rain
perhaps to see me weep."

- dsnake1, teddy bear



photo by Amy_Z at pixabay



ten years


ten years?
you left me
carrying the memories
not even a goodbye?
but such courage
kicked fear in the face.
once, just once
you cried
WHY ME?
the tears down your cheeks
big as pearls
such grace
the tears on your eyelashes
dew on a cold morning.

ten years already?
seems like not long ago
in that hospital room
holding hands
waiting for your chemo
but now i am touching
the marble slab
at your grave
tracing your name
no, smoothing what hair
that is left
as my tears now
big as pearls
such helplessness
as i once held
your frail hands.


written : 28/01/2004
revised : 28/01/2023
*****************







Reina del Cid - Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd cover)





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Colleen said...

Wow This one really got me. I love the contrast between the stone and hair.

05 March, 2023 04:22  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

But of course, that is what we do in the face of disaster, especially the personal ones: we write poems. (As I have said repeatedly: what on earth do people do, who are not poets?)

Grief, of course, is never really 'over'; we just learn to live with it. This is so beautifully expressed! I find your last lines particularly heart-breaking.

05 March, 2023 07:34  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

Thank you! :)


Rosemary,

I can say that poetry (and some extent, art) got me through some rough times.
I cannot say what those who are not poets do in the face of disaster. Perhaps paint, write music, volunteer. Or let the fate ride over them. Or drink, do drugs, crime?

I think I can write sad poetry pretty well. :)

05 March, 2023 13:35  
Anonymous Rajani said...

From the mynah to the hospital room to the tomb, from grace to helplessness - this is fantastic writing.

05 March, 2023 20:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rajani! 😀

05 March, 2023 21:36  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

This expresses grief well. (My husband, and just recently the man I would have married first if I'd met him first, also had cancer.)

06 March, 2023 21:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Oh no, it must be hard. :(

07 March, 2023 11:09  
Blogger Marja said...

Oh such a poignant and heartbreaking poem Beautifully written.

08 March, 2023 12:27  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Marja! :)

08 March, 2023 20:19  
Blogger ashok said...

Well written

09 March, 2023 11:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Ashok! :)

10 March, 2023 20:26  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

This one squeezed my heart...

12 March, 2023 02:52  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

A touching, and heartfelt poem. Wonderful writing.

12 March, 2023 09:56  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Magaly,

Thank you.
You would understand what chemo can do. :(


Sara,

Thank you. :)

12 March, 2023 20:55  

Post a Comment

<< Home