Sunday, November 06, 2022

I

You are a fish. You live in a pond. You know only water. One day you jump out of the water. You see a different world. You see trees. Humans. Dogs. You do not know what they are. Then you drop back into the water. You want to see more. But you cannot live in that world. It will kill you.



pencil sketch by dsnake1



I



I
a man
homo sapiens
now sits and belches
does not believe that I have
as my ancestors a fish! A fish, Ha!
homo pisces i scream, I on the apex of
the pyramid of living things could not have
begun my reign as a fish, or an amoeba for that
matter, until then till wars raze the world and armies
and trebuchets and arrows fly and black choppers
scatter metal rain, war drones unleash hellfire
and black sticky rain fall thickly every day
and then the words of life are rewritten
from chance and carbon and flames
salt & water homo sapiens will
remain a fish, and on a dark
desolate scarred hillock
in a second coming
in the rubble
will stand
another
man.
I



undated, quite old

revised : 08/11/2021
*****************






A Perfect Circle - So Long, And Thanks For All The Fish





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2022

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

Good to remember of whence we came and that maybe we never should have...

06 November, 2022 05:45  
Blogger Helen said...

A few months back, my book club chose Lulu Miller’s book “Why Fish Don’t Exist” ~~~ your beautifully penned poem reminds me of why I so enjoyed the book!!

06 November, 2022 08:28  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

Thank you!
yes, maybe we never should have... :(


Helen,

Thank you!
I have not read that book. Maybe I should. :)

06 November, 2022 09:46  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

All too topical now, sadly.

06 November, 2022 09:58  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary!

ah, the war part? :(

06 November, 2022 21:07  
Anonymous Rajani said...

So much here- love the shape poem, the pencil sketch... and that description of war is frankly too real and too terrifying. The shape of things to come and worse.

06 November, 2022 21:42  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rajani!

Glad you like the sketch too. :)

06 November, 2022 22:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this, D.S. It reminded me of the book series, "Left behind".
..

07 November, 2022 11:51  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Is that you, Jim?

No, I did not know about the book series, "Left Behind". I went to google it and, yes, an interesting trilogy. :)

07 November, 2022 17:03  
Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

Fish eat other fish. There may be something to evolution. :-)

08 November, 2022 04:19  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I wonder what shape we'll be in after all is well and done (or just done). We've made such a mess of things, haven't we? I bet all our "homo pisces" ancestors would be ashamed of most of us, if they could swim in the waters we continue to poison...

08 November, 2022 04:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Su-sieee,

Ha, yes, big fish eat smaller fish.. :)


Magaly,

Today, I switched on the TV and the top of the news was COP27 (Conference of the Parties of the UNFCC), the United Nations Climate Change Conference. Yes, countries are recognising there is a problem, that the fight against global warming is a battle for human survival. But will the words turn into concrete action?

I think we won't be around to see what shape the world will be in in the future. Maybe with action, it may turn around. Or the young will inherit the mess we have made.

08 November, 2022 20:30  
Blogger ashok said...

Well done!

09 November, 2022 00:11  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Ashok! :)

09 November, 2022 17:03  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Never forget those humble beginnings! I love the poem, and your sketch.

10 November, 2022 10:18  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sara!
Big things come from humble beginnings. From an acorn comes a mighty oak. Maybe from a primitive fish comes the human race? :)

10 November, 2022 14:57  
Blogger Rommy said...

Man, fish it so much better than we do.

14 November, 2022 00:09  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

😁
At least they don't go and start a war.

14 November, 2022 09:48  

Post a Comment

<< Home