Sunday, October 23, 2022

dark side of the moon #12

Don't read this before lunch...


photo by Bruce Tang at Unsplash



dark side of the moon #12


“I think perhaps all of us go a little crazy at times.”
-Psycho, by Robert Bloch



Oh honey, I am home. But you are not eating well these past two days. Hardly ate anything. Or said anything. Just sat there on the sofa watching TV. Old people like us don't eat much, I know, but still one must eat. I bought some fish soup today. The one from your favourite stall. Yes, I met our neighbour Mrs. Lim from the next unit just now, she complained to me of a smell from our house. Said she will call the police if I don't fix it. Fix what? Just our unwashed dishes. Let me keep this can of insect spray, there's a lot of flies and mites lately, and then I will get your food. Here, let me get a clean bowl.


17/10/2022
**********




Magaly at Poets and Storytellers United invites us to write poetry or prose inspired by some scary quotes. I chose one from Psycho.





"The Department of Statistics estimates that 83,000 elderly persons will be living alone by 2030, compared with the 47,000 seniors aged 65 and above in 2016."

- The Pride, Am I my neighbour’s keeper? The tragedy of those who die alone






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2022

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, how wonderfully horrifying! And how beautifully you reveal the true picture while leaving it unsaid.

23 October, 2022 07:14  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

This is so very sad.

23 October, 2022 08:24  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rosemary,

Thank you!
I am glad you find the story horrifying. It's a case of 'show don't tell' and perhaps it heightens the impact this way. :)


Magaly,

Thank you!

Yes, it's very sad. In a way, it's also a love story that is disturbing. This story is also inspired by a Hong Kong horror short film.

23 October, 2022 09:32  
Blogger Rommy said...

You did so much in such a small space! So much tenderness, so much sadness. What does a fly or two matter? Why waste a moment on dishes when so little time is left for something precious?

23 October, 2022 20:40  
Blogger Penelope Notes said...

The implications of this incredible tale through the use of show, don't tell were executed horrifically well.

23 October, 2022 20:54  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rommy,

Thank you!
Yes, I tried to keep the story short. After I published, I thought a haibun would even be better.
I want to show the tenderness and sadness. I think it is a really sad tale. i left the gender of the narrator open, so it can work both ways. :)


Penelope,

Thank you!
Glad you liked the tale. :)

23 October, 2022 22:20  
Blogger Jim said...

If you're a bird and have half an island.
It's still an island, only half as large.
Does she sleep a lot? More Symptoms.
Nice read.
..

24 October, 2022 10:08  
Anonymous Jim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

24 October, 2022 10:09  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Jim!

I quite like the quote about the bird. i am trying to figure out the meaning in context to the poem. 😁

24 October, 2022 13:50  
Blogger Sunra Rainz said...

Ooh, creepy! I haven't seen Psycho and I'm not sure I want to but you describe this scene very vividly. Reading it, you know there's something wrong and your imagination runs riot but the narrator normalises whatever it might be - good ploy! :-)

25 October, 2022 09:16  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sunra.

Psycho is not for the faint-hearted. 😃 So are some of the Asian horror films.
I am glad you noticed the tension in the poem. That something is not right in a 'normal' setting. 😁

25 October, 2022 20:37  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

An eerie sadness here.

28 October, 2022 09:27  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sara.
Yes, it is. :(

28 October, 2022 20:27  

Post a Comment

<< Home