Sunday, December 18, 2022

and so the day is actually good

This was written for a poetry competition, about 'catharsis', or what makes you feel good. I thought this is not a poem to win a competition, and thus did not submit it.


photo by dsnake1



and so the day is actually good


I cannot escape the day's fatigue
nor the harsh words that were said.

So as I step out of the guarded compound
the night air kicks in like a sigh.

Spotlights bath the nearby church's steeple
guiding its poor children going home.

The street lights' poor reach
hides the waving weeds by my feet.

The legs heavy gait now jaunty
the vines grabbing them loosened their grip.

Now the welcome headlights of the bus
and a warm meal waiting at home, at last.



31/08/2019
**********


And so, this is probably my last post for the year, a little 'happy' poem. Happy Holidays to all my readers! 😃🎄⛄




Lucie,Too - Lucky





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2022

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, you've captured beautifully that happy-to-be-going-home-from-work feeling, which is both mental and physical as we begin to relax from the day.

18 December, 2022 08:02  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary! :)

18 December, 2022 10:57  
Blogger colleen said...

I'm glad it ended well. I was not expecting that.

19 December, 2022 02:31  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

The ability to enjoy the blessings of rest makes the day good. I like.

19 December, 2022 13:15  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

Thank you!
It ended well.
perhaps i have been writing too much bleak stuff? :D


Priscilla,

Thank you!
I was thinking about the time I was working long shift hours when I wrote this poem. The best time of the day was reaching home. :)

20 December, 2022 00:06  
Blogger ashok said...

Well written Lee..

20 December, 2022 23:58  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Ashok! :)

21 December, 2022 21:31  
Anonymous Sunra Rainz said...

Love that warm feeling of comfort at the end of a bad day. I've experienced this myself and took comfort in the fact that the day at least had come to an end and my home was a haven to look forward to :-) Relatable and honest.

21 December, 2022 23:32  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

You are a master at the art of perfect closing lines. I actually sighed with contentment (and a bit of hunger) when I finished reading. Delicious.

22 December, 2022 05:24  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sunra,

Thank you!
Glad that it's relatable. :)


Magaly,

😁😁😁
Thank you! Maybe I should have submitted it to the competition...

22 December, 2022 16:30  
Blogger Su-sieee! Mac said...

We can talk ourselves of so much. I like your poem. It reminds me of how I felt when I was a young self working in the city oh so tired standing a bus stop after a long day of work.

23 December, 2022 05:02  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Su-sieee!

Yes, i guess most of us experienced this before, the fatigue after a long day of work and waiting for a bus to take us home.. :)

23 December, 2022 15:10  
Blogger jossina said...

I could really feel every word and catharsis it is...

24 December, 2022 18:07  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Jossina! :)

24 December, 2022 20:22  
Anonymous Rajani said...

And not even a super crowded bus can dampen those feelings of being done and heading home... yes, been there, felt that!!!

27 December, 2022 20:30  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Yes, not even a super crowded bus can dampen those feelings!

Thank you, Rajani! :)

27 December, 2022 21:45  

Post a Comment

<< Home