Sunday, June 25, 2023

over the rooftops

I wrote this on a wet rainy day looking out from my kitchen window, and this piece was also partly inspired by a Henry David Thoreau poem. I know, this is not a very cheerful poem (as most of my poems are). It was even published here before, but few eyeballs (the cheerlessness?). So here it is again.


photo by Daniel van den Berg at Unsplash



over the rooftops


over the rooftops from which
the blackbirds have passed

the clouds hung like a wet veil
as the evening retreated

a flash of lightning lit up a second
white as a shroud

the wind moaned by, trapping dust
and leaves in its blast.



30/04/2012
**********







and this is the poem that inspired the above :

On Fields O'er Which the Reaper's Hand Has Pass'd


On fields o'er which the reaper's hand has pass'd
Lit by the harvest moon and autumn sun,
My thoughts like stubble floating in the wind
And of such fineness as October airs,
There after harvest could I glean my life
A richer harvest reaping without toil,
And weaving gorgeous fancies at my will
In subtler webs than finest summer haze.

-- 
Henry David Thoreau





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

Nice flash capture of scene and mood.

25 June, 2023 07:49  
Blogger Helen said...

Magic in your beautifully penned poem.

25 June, 2023 08:22  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

😃
Thank you!


Helen,

😃
Thank you!

25 June, 2023 14:16  
Blogger jossina said...

The otherworldly affair is luring, but for a while let us watch the harvest moon and autumn sun here

26 June, 2023 00:19  
Blogger Marja said...

Love this poem Some great lines like 'the clouds hung like a wet veil
as the evening retreated'and'the wind moaned by, trapping dust
and leaves in its blast' fantastic

26 June, 2023 05:52  
Blogger Jim said...

An evening with a little of Nature's natural excitement
Makes an evening to remember
.
Nice read in a small package. Thank you
..

26 June, 2023 10:23  
Anonymous Rajani said...

The blackbirds, wet veil and shroud... set up quite a mood!

26 June, 2023 10:23  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Jossina,

Thank you!
harvest moon and autumn sun seems more watchable. 😄



Marja,

Thank you!
Glad you like it. 😀


Jim,

Thank you!
Yes, even though it was a cold, bleak evening. 😀

26 June, 2023 11:17  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rajani,

Thank you!
Glad it does. 😀

26 June, 2023 11:19  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I love your poem. Yes the mood may be a little bleak but the language is beautiful and the image vivid. I actually like it even better than the Thoreau.

26 June, 2023 21:57  
Blogger Lisa said...

I found that beautiful, and enjoyable to read several times over! I'll be thinking about it for a while.

27 June, 2023 12:16  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rosemary,

Thank you!
I am totally flattered. 😄


Lisa,

Thank you!
To think that I actually wrote it for a NaPoWriMo entry, done in one 'take'. I am beginning to like this poem more and more myself through the years. 😀

27 June, 2023 21:45  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

A storm that fails to break the heat/humidity is a cheerless thing. The poem describes that well. Welcome to my world this weekend...thank you for writing about it!

04 July, 2023 01:43  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Oh Priscilla, it can't be that bad, can it? 😄

04 July, 2023 20:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home