Sunday, April 16, 2023

poetry lesson #14

Rosemary at Poets and Storytellers United would like us to write about writing: either write a poem about writing poetry, or tell us a story about story-telling. 😀


collage and photo by dsnake1



poetry lesson #14


I wanted to write a poem about
the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

Night turns to day and the four
horsemen are nowhere to be found.

So i look at the video game machine
and it is pleading to be switched on.

Days turn to weeks and there are
still no signs of the four horsemen.

I know it is an old game but if
you are poor, old games are still fun.

So my characters are marching through
the game like demi gods, invincible.

They are beautiful and strong, their
godly blades felling enemies like weeds.

It is Pestilence and Famine and War and Death,
whatever name at the moment.

And then I remember I am supposed
to write a poem, about some horsemen.

So in the end I have four sijos instead,
the four horsemen have assembled.

It is hard to explain how I got there,
I know, a very poor, lousy poetry lesson.

Would you like to see the poems instead?



07/04/2023
**********




Read my poem? Why don't you click the below link and hear someone read Charles Bukowski's The Crunch?





People Aren't Good (The Crunch by Charles Bukowski)

All three versions of The Crunch by Charles Bukowski.





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes of course I want to see four sijos by you on the Horsemen of the Apocalypse! (Where's the link?) I enjoyed this poem too. My firstborn is a gamer, so I can even get some insight into the feelings, lol.

16 April, 2023 04:42  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary!

I will be posting them on the blog, probably next week. :)

16 April, 2023 16:19  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

I look forward to the poems.

16 April, 2023 23:39  
Blogger Helen said...

I visualized your poetry playing out as I read it ... the game and your words. Cheers.

17 April, 2023 00:15  
Blogger colleen said...

A poem within a poem. Love it. I wrote a poem I didn't like and included a line about writing a poem I didn't like. I never see the 4 horsemen but often see the 3 Musketeers, sort of like looking through a field of three-leaf leaf clovers trying to find a lucky four-leaf one.

17 April, 2023 00:32  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Priscilla,

Thank you!
I will be posting them soon. :)


Helen,

Thank you. Inspiration can come from odd places. :)


Colleen,

Perhaps writing poetry is like that, we still need a bit of luck besides our Muse. :)


17 April, 2023 09:43  
Blogger Rommy said...

I love old games for the nostalgia factor. I could definitely see being inspired by a few of them too.

17 April, 2023 19:02  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Yes, they can definitely inspire some poetry.

Thank you, Rommy!

17 April, 2023 21:46  
Blogger magiceye said...

Loved the way you wove the thoughts into lines!

17 April, 2023 22:12  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, magiceye! :)

18 April, 2023 00:00  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I can't tell you how much I love. A poem about poetry which reads like a story. It was so much fun to read. Very illumination (and relatable) too.

18 April, 2023 04:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Magaly!

I am glad you find it fun to read! It was meant to be this way. :)

18 April, 2023 16:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home