Sunday, May 28, 2023

A sonnet about Psyduck by ChatGPT

Today, just for the fun of it, I ask ChatGPT to write me "a sonnet on my favourite pokemon, Psyduck", because I am bad at writing sonnets. Before I have finished typing "yellow ducky", it churns out a 14-line poem. And seriously, it is not too bad.

My question is, are poets going out of a job?



photo by dsnake1



A sonnet about Psyduck by ChatGPT


Oh Psyduck, with your head always aching,
Your vacant stare and your constant confusion,
You waddle around, forever shaking,
A cute and quirky pocket monster fusion.

Your psychic powers are quite impressive,
But they're hard to control, I must confess,
Sometimes you seem almost obsessive,
Your head in a perpetual distress.

Despite your flaws, you're loved by many,
Your charm and innocence win hearts each day,
And though you're often seen as quite zany,
Your loyal fans will always come and stay.

So here's to you, dear Psyduck, our friend,
May your headaches and woes soon come to an end.



by ChatGPT

04/05/2023
**********



To answer my question, no, AI is not going to take over our jobs soon. Not yet. I asked it to write a poem about a bad day, Bukowski style. It comes out all textbook rhymes. Bukowski don't rhyme. Bukowski writes in short breaths. He cusses. AI does a decent job in rhyming. But in imagery, in emotions, in forms and tools, it has much to learn. I bet it does not know of line breaks (shall I try it on them?). But the thing is, machines learn very fast. We may see a free verse from them very soon.

My hands are sweating...






Ghost in The Shell - "Birth of An Android"





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm glad we won't be losing our jobs just yet! Could anyone imitate Bukowski anyway? To immediately answer my own question, I realise he could be parodied – as could we all, particularly those with very distinct, idiosyncratic styles. Perhaps parody is another name for what ChatGPT does? (But I think being parodied might be almost as annoying as being plagiarised.)

28 May, 2023 07:32  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

The trouble is, these things work by plagiarizing real writers' writings. All very well for a laugh but they could potentially create serious problems for writers.

A link to a Guardian post on this topic will be on my Blogspot tomorrow, with comment.

28 May, 2023 11:49  
Blogger jossina said...

:) even I did something similar and I too think there is a lot of time before AI can take over if at all

28 May, 2023 13:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary!

Love your comment.
Parody missed my sight. Could anyone imitate Bukowski, or Plath, or Mary Oliver? They are very distinctive, unique voices. Or, *ahem*, me when I write about military stuff? 😆
There will only be one Mona Lisa, and one 'Howl'. Right now, I am not excited about the poetry that ChatGPT churns out. Workmanlike, if you may say so.


Priscilla,

And what about those in schools and colleges. We may not be able to tell the real from the AI generated.
I heard there are already lawsuits from artists. :(

28 May, 2023 14:03  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Jossina!

So you tested it too. I am glad we share the same sentiments. :)
I intend to probe it further with more poetry requests. I hope it don't frighten me one day. 😅

28 May, 2023 14:12  
Blogger Penelope Notes said...

What AI spits out I assume has something to do with the input it received. In this case, not too bad but in need of some editing from a human perhaps to reach its best desired effect.

29 May, 2023 00:26  
Blogger Helen said...

Have to say, this is pretty impressive especially for a fairly obscure subject! Thanks so much for sharing! I do believe poets will continue to write, and we will continue to read them.

29 May, 2023 03:42  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Penelope,

Thank you!

What AI can spit out in such a short time is truly quite amazing. It is not gibberish, like some earlier "generators", but really coherent, and it knows what is the subject I was referring to. Perhaps yes, some editing from a human will reach a more desired effect, but what it has done is pretty impressive.


Helen,

Thank you!

Yes, it's pretty impressive for a fairly obscure subject. Not many humans know about the traits of the pokemon 'psyduck'. Now what I worry about are people posting poems by AI bots as their own in poetry groups or their websites.
I too believe poets will continue to write, and we will continue to read them, because that's what we like to do, not let a machine do it for us.

29 May, 2023 21:40  
Blogger rallentanda said...

psycho duck poem wasn't bad:)
I think the machine poems are a bit laboured but it will be interesting to see if they improve.I don't think the machines will win out over the unpredictable quirky poets...because a machine does not have a personality.

30 May, 2023 01:22  
Anonymous Rajani said...

I asked the Bing Chatbot to write a poem some time ago and when it came out with all those rhymes, asked it to write in freeverse... at the end of the conversation, it said it is still learning poetry but it understands all the technical parts though it still can't understand all poems or write very well. It's surely honest if not a poet! Yet! But this is the public version. Am sure the lot smarter ones are being tested out somewhere, capable of doing some incredible (horrible) things. Maybe they can also write like Bukowski!!!

30 May, 2023 11:19  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rall,

psycho duck, I like that! 🤣

I also like what you said about poets being quirky beings. It's things like these that set us apart from machines.


Rajani,

🤣🤣🤣
An honest chatbot!
Yes, this is the public face of AI at the moment. We do not know how well it has already being trained. Maybe there's already a Bukowski somewhere and it is asking for beedis and wine.

30 May, 2023 21:21  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

I would be quite upset if Bukowski could be duplicated.

02 June, 2023 08:25  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sara.

Me too, but I think there is not a bit of a chance yet. :)

02 June, 2023 13:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home