Sunday, August 13, 2023

somewhere, redux

Maybe she is having a better, happier life now...


image by Aurel_Cham at pixabay



somewhere, redux


it's been twenty-eight years
you should have been
re-incarnated
and
if you did
you could be
a mother
by now

and if i walk past you
somewhere in a street
in Redhill
or
Tampines
would i still
recognise
you?

and perhaps i will,
or maybe not
but if i see
that walk
those
swaying hips
in that mall
or park
that voice
that laughter

and if our eyes should meet
in that split
moment in time
you
will understand
those trembling
lips
those brimming tears
in my eyes.


20/04/2022
**********


The prompt at Poets and Storytellers United is to write about "the last time you had a good laugh or cry"





"I seem to have loved you in numberless forms, numberless times...
In life after life, in age after age, forever.
My spellbound heart has made and remade the necklace of songs,
That you take as a gift, wear round your neck in your many forms,
In life after life, in age after age, forever."


― Rabindranath Tagore, Selected Poems






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

I love this. The first stanza literally made me laugh out loud.

13 August, 2023 07:41  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Colleen!

Ah, just wondering about the possibilities. :)

13 August, 2023 13:56  
Blogger Helen said...

A gorgeous poem ~ a beautiful story ~ love lost and (possibly) found.

13 August, 2023 23:46  
Anonymous Rajani said...

This is beautiful... just the possibility of it happening is so overpowering...

14 August, 2023 09:33  
Blogger jossina said...

A lump in my throat....... I really wish you both meet and recognize each other..... and I suppose even a short while would suffice

14 August, 2023 12:01  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

Reincarnated as a mother, or just had time to become one? The certainty of reincarnation made me read it as a tearful poem...

14 August, 2023 13:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Helen,

Thank you!
This is actually a rewrite of an earlier poem.


Rajani,

Thank you!
Yes, I want to keep the possibility of that happening.


Jossina,

Thank you!
There were little glimpses of similarities here and there but never that "aha" moment. Maybe it's not meant to be.



14 August, 2023 21:56  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Priscilla,

Thank you!
Yes, this is certainly intended to be a sad poem. It's about loss and longing. Maybe I didn't make that clear in the poem. :)

Ha, I read your "doggerel" at your site about the town of Kingsport. I think it's happening at most towns across the "free" world.

14 August, 2023 22:33  
Blogger Jim said...

Well, can a lady nearly in her fifties still swing her hips? I wonder. My loss is 55 years ago and after about 20 years later I had no more fellings for her. So hang in there, there's hope for your poet.
BTW, about almost fifty years ago my ex came in and was ushered to sit by me during a granddaughter's wedding. She seemed much taller than I had remembered, I didnt recognize her until Mrs. Jim told me who she was.
..

15 August, 2023 01:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Jim.

I guess you are a lucky guy, you found true love soon after. :)
Mine, cancer took her in her early 30's. I have managed to somehow move on with my life.

15 August, 2023 21:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home