Sunday, July 23, 2023

blursday

Blursday : n. a day of the week that is indistinguishable from any other.

I am sure the word was a prompt from one of the issues of Poets & Storytellers United. Just can't remember which date.



digital montage by dsnake1 with GIMP



blursday (7th apr to 1st june 2020)


1.
Thank god the internet is alive and well.
And Netflix.

The social media videos start to arrive.
They hiss like little forked tongues.

7.
The rebels arrive. A man with full body tattoos striped down to his underwear and strutted around the town neighbourhood waving his pants. Cops tried to tackle him. They had a hard time bringing him down. He was a good rugby player.

11.
spring cleaning -
our little histories.

17.
A nice dinner of stir fried cabbage with dried shrimps and fried pork collar with chillies helps a ton. Everybody loves it.

20.
More social videos : elderly lady is unleashing a whole range of vulgarities at two cops when confronted for not wearing a mask. The two cops are hesitant to tackle the lady. They know the internet is watching. Eagerly watching.

Some people are slipping into a rabbit hole.

22.
Thank god for youtube. There's a Japanese all-girl rock band that's driving the internet (and me) crazy.

23.
cherry blossoms -
looking at my photographs
of Japan

24.
Two blackbirds perch on my air-con unit and debate the pandemic.

25.
rain
///
the silence
in the house

27.
Tried fried udon with minced meat and everybody loves it.
Home-cooked pasta with meat sauce and everybody loves it.
Perhaps i can think about a career change.

28.
A dinner of yam rice with chinese sausages. Very basic.
But everybody loves it
Hmm, about that career change...

35.
overcast skies -
looking at your old photographs
                          again

40.
another morning
counting the meds
counting the videos

43.
nicked finger -

red fish gills
in a white sink

47.
a scent of lilac your floral blouse

50?
Home stretch.
Start counting the number of brands of beer i have drunk. Give up after the 11th and start rummaging in the fridge for one. Any brand.

56.
The end of blursdays
What day is today?

The family wants me to cook dinner.

(@.@)


318 words


written in response to a prompt
revised 06/12/2022
revised 02/07/2023
***************




BAND-MAID - Daydreaming





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

Half true or believable. Eithe wayk a fun read/
Quite a rundown of a day which was just a blur;
..

23 July, 2023 10:59  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

You've captured the blurring very well. (What a great word,'blursday'.) I particularly like the social media videos hissing 'like little forked tongues'; 11; and the touch of humour with all those meals, and finally the family wanting you to cook dinner.

It sounds as if you got through that strange time better than some.

23 July, 2023 15:41  
Blogger dsnake1 said...


Jim,

Thank you!
Some days are just a blur. Some days we try to live. In the almost 3 months of lockdown, some days are definitely better. :)


Rosemary,

Thank you!
I think I got through that strange time better than some. I remember I watch a lot of videos, from my phone or youtube. And Netflix.
Also circumstances force us to cook most meals at home. :)

23 July, 2023 20:58  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

Yes, something pops up, before the comment box opens, and demands "Click 'Allow' if you are not a robot." I click CLOSE WINDOW and it goes away. I wonder if it's put up by someone who doesn't like the US, or doesn't like Singapore, or doesn't like either...

...or someone who just drank too much during the Blursday hiatus-of-life.

Waves of empathy...

24 July, 2023 10:06  
Blogger Marja said...

Love blursday I remember that one We went for lots of walks during that time. Great to have good cooking skills

24 July, 2023 10:54  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Priscilla,

Thank you!
You are getting it too, on my site? What about the others? I am getting it too, on clicking the "comments" on my site using chrome. Arrg! must find out how to get rid of it.


Marja,

Thank you!
My cooking skills are just so-so. :)

24 July, 2023 23:02  
Blogger Debi Swim said...

blursday is a great word to describe those covid days. At least you kept your sense of humor.

25 July, 2023 18:33  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Debi.

I have to, just to keep sane. :)

25 July, 2023 20:28  
Anonymous Rajani said...

Love this... the numbering, the repetition, the useless things that fill the day.. oh yes..beautifully captured. And "blursday" is my new inspiration to write a poem!!! Thank you!! There's a J-pop singer that I've been listening to as well.. Fujii Kaze.. must see about the girl band!

25 July, 2023 22:24  
Blogger Helen said...

What can I add but that this is so amazingly clever, funny, informative, insightful AND one day I am going to attempt something like it. See what you started??? I really did love this.

26 July, 2023 05:18  
Blogger jossina said...

That's a nice peek into blursday's . The last one had me laughing.... happens

26 July, 2023 12:18  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rajani,

Thank you!
The numbering is actually from the number of days of the lockdown in my "diary". I kept this 'diary' at my other blog.
Have not heard of Fujii Kaze, maybe it's time for a listen. The link to this girl band is at the bottom of this post. The song they sang is one of the best rock songs I have heard in decades. :)


Helen,

Thank you!
It is like a list poem. I had great fun compiling this. :)


Jossina,

Thank you!
Glad you find the poem funny. :)

26 July, 2023 21:59  

Post a Comment

<< Home