Sunday, July 02, 2023

dark side of the moon #11 - part 1

You can never know what type of people the person you just accidently bumped into is...


photo by xusenru at pixabay enhanced with Nik Collection


dark side of the moon #11 - part 1


Tonight, the weather is balmy and humid, not a good time for work. I stopped the jeep just outside the shop. It is a nondescript, dimly lit small wooden structure just outside the village, among paddy fields and banana plantations. A large coca-cola sign was nailed to the door, and I push it open and walk in, and I smell it immediately, a faint pungent scent with hints of plumeria. She sits at a table, close to a refrigerator, writing on a book, with neat shelves of dried food and condiments around her. This is a general store, after all. She unfolds her legs and stands up, her light pink ao dai flowing with her curves. She smiles and says, "what took you so long?"

"How many were there?", I ask, referring to the bodies buried behind the house. "Ten, maybe. I have stopped counting." She smiles, then sighs. "In a different time we could even be lovers". In the low light of incandescent bulbs, there is no doubt that she is a beautiful woman. A beautiful creature. "I have to get their lives, their chi. I need to live", she says matter-of-factly.

I have been hunting her for decades, and have put down some of her kind along the way. But she is elusive, her trail winding and long. Amsterdam, Singapore in the 30's, Tokyo, just after the War, and now a village near an American camp just outside Saigon. "It took you some time, this chase, I was beginning to worry for you, but you took out our sister Matha in Amsterdam just after the First War ended". She continued, "I will never forgive you, I will try to kill you and maybe today I will get my greatest prize."

292 words

10/10/2021
**********


to be continued...






Saori Hayami - [Awake] - ending theme for RWBY:Ice Queendom





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2023

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

OK, you got me! Eagerly looking forward to future instalments.

02 July, 2023 15:54  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary!
Hope you will not be disappointed with part2. 😁

02 July, 2023 18:36  
Blogger colleen said...

What a showdown! I was not expecting that.

02 July, 2023 21:48  
Blogger Rommy said...

Great intro! I'm curious to see where you will take this!

02 July, 2023 22:19  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Colleen!
Wait for part 2. 😄

02 July, 2023 22:22  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

😀

Thank you, Rommy.

02 July, 2023 22:35  
Blogger Helen said...

You left me fascinated and definitely want more.

03 July, 2023 02:18  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

Ooohhh!

03 July, 2023 11:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Helen,

😁
Thank you! Part 2 is coming.


Priscilla,

😄
Thank you!

03 July, 2023 20:25  
Blogger Jim said...

My son has an old rusty red Jeep, nothing wooden on it. The Jeeps over here haven't used wood that I am aware of. We don't leave them in the fields though some do their tractor

Sounds like your hero has attracted a Black Widow, one who kills her man. Guess we'll see next installment.

04 July, 2023 03:51  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Jim,

Jeeps are the work horses of your generation. But they are luxury symbols over here now.
Ah, a black widow, maybe i can work one into a future poem. :)

04 July, 2023 20:33  
Blogger Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

07 July, 2023 20:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rajani!

08 July, 2023 21:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home