Sunday, March 24, 2024

what are you doing tonight?

The night seems long, and there is no place to go.


photo of a Kyoto street by dsnake1



what are you doing tonight?


the half eaten dinner
is still in the styrofoam box
on the table

perhaps the rice is too sticky
maybe the cook had a bad day
like me

stub out the nth cigarette
sitting in the darkness listening
for a heartbeat

the blue curaco in a tall glass
with borzoi vodka and ice cubes
cools nerves

i light incense to her at the altar
call out her name, see the smoke
like farewells

i clean the dust and oil off
the gas hobs, as she had done
so many years

until the cold steel shines
and my sobs tremble and echo in
the silence

sitting in the quiet dark again
trying to figure out how the years
were wasted.

you will figure out surely
what you are doing tonight
the night answers

then i fire up the power amp
slip a disc into the player
sit back

and wait for Mark Knopfler
and his guitar to take us
to nirvana.


written lovingly 15/09/2007
revised slightly 23/08/2021
********************






Dire Straits - On Every Street




© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2024

Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Rajani said...

Yes the dark and the drink and the music and the memories and the regret... you paint a realistic scene that resonates...

24 March, 2024 10:59  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

A perfect evocation of urban loneliness.
(I loved the music too.)

24 March, 2024 13:24  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rajani,

Thank you! :)


Rosemary,

Thank you!
I wrote this a very long time ago, and only post it now. Glad you like the music too. :)

24 March, 2024 15:49  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brother-in-law goes through this many nights, his wife died in 2021 of a stroke and the COVID-19. I lost my ex by divorce. it gradually gets better, many nights I woke up sobbing. Even after that I still had distrust for another relationship. It eases gradually, my next find, she found me, went into its 51st year this February.
You told it faithfully, painfully .
Nice write;
Jim
..

24 March, 2024 16:16  
Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

This is a lovely poem. I felt like I was there with you so it did what a poem is supposed to do. It made me feel. How lonely we can be when amoungst many.


24 March, 2024 18:59  
Blogger Rommy said...

The imagery is so beautifully done and haunting. It adds up to create a vivid picture of what loss looks like.

24 March, 2024 20:11  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Jim,

Thank you.
I would understand how your brother-in-law feels.
It's great that you found a lasting and loving relationship after your divorce. Life can work in strange ways.


Yvonne,

Thank you.
Yes, suddenly, the house appears so empty, although you are surrounded by so many things.


Rommy,

Thank you!

24 March, 2024 21:13  
Blogger Debi Swim said...

Loneliness and grief you show well. It resonates with me.

24 March, 2024 23:29  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Debi! :)

25 March, 2024 15:25  
Blogger vanderloost said...

The losses take the shape of life. Poignant!

26 March, 2024 08:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, vanderloost ! :)

26 March, 2024 21:31  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Loneliness can wash over you for long periods of time. I love the music you chose.

29 March, 2024 08:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sara!

I think the song I chose is quite right for the poem. :)

29 March, 2024 22:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home