Sunday, January 28, 2024

September

She used to wear an anchor pendant on her necklace. Perhaps this is the one thing that is weighing me down.

There was once a prompt at Poets and Storytellers United to write about October. Sorry, my poem is about September.



photo by dsnake1



September


September seems like a meteor dropping from the sky,
once bright, then gone.

Like you too.

Remember we stand at the parapets of our block,
smoking cigarettes, bitching
about money and our jobs,
you a seamstress, me an odd-job labourer?

Life gets better.

But then you are gone, those memories hang
like van Goghs on my dusty wall.
Starry nights, irises, sunflowers,
cafes, tears and labour.
But I am too afraid
to follow you and so I linger
and I sit in dark corners
and wait for

September.



written 26/09/2023
revised 28/09/2023
****************






"what matters is that I still have
after all that has preceded
poems left
me left
and these walls that I have always
loved
in all the cities and in all the
places I have lived, these walls are still here and
my radio plays,..."

Charles Bukowski, luck from a kitchen






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2024

Labels: , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger colleen said...

I love the closure of memories hanging like Van Gogh favorites.

28 January, 2024 02:51  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Your words are always both succinct and elegant, your images clear and immediate. This one evokes for me a hint of Beat poetry.

The Bukowski quote is very good too!

28 January, 2024 06:13  
Blogger Helen said...

"But I am too afraid to follow you and so I linger" ~~~ not quite a ghost but ghost-like waiting. I enjoyed reading this ~~~

28 January, 2024 08:06  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

Thank you!
I would love to keep them as beautiful memories. :)


Rosemary,

Thank you!
Beat poetry has always intrigue and interest me.
Glad you like the Bukowski quote too. A sense of loneliness, but great imagery in that poem. :)


Helen,

Thank you! :)

28 January, 2024 10:21  
Blogger Priscilla King said...

Cafes, labour, waiting for September...reminds me of college years. Thanks for the memories!

(has Google got my name right yet? Priscilla King)

29 January, 2024 01:22  
Blogger Jim said...

I guess that hanging van Ghoh's work you thought would satisfy. I won't. And the parties involved now can't be found any more. That's the way it goes and life goes on.
..

29 January, 2024 04:38  
Blogger Yvonne Osborne said...

Ah, yes, all those Van Goghs hanging on dusty walls.

29 January, 2024 21:50  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Priscilla,

Thank you!
College years! :)


Jim,

Thank you!

I used van Gogh's works as a metaphor for memories, it could be good, it could be bittersweet.
I have seen his paintings in museums, and standing before them, there is a certain awe and respect looking at them. I look at the colours and brush strokes and try to picture him at work. :)


Yvonne,

Thank you!
the van Goghs! :)

30 January, 2024 14:18  
Blogger purplepeninportland.com said...

Love the memories hanging like Van Goghs!

02 February, 2024 09:47  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Sara! :)

02 February, 2024 21:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home