Thursday, October 27, 2005

Writing




Writing is fun, writing can be a chore. But above all, writing is about passion.


Sure, all of us can write. Out of necessity, because of the nature of our work, or there is a damn report to file. Or a need to communicate, to complain, to praise , to apologise. Or we write because we love to, we have The Next Big Novel to publish, the Greatest Poem to share with the world.


Yes, I'm still an old-fashioned guy when it comes to writing. I like writing with a pencil on paper. In the old days before the PC and the word processor, I bashed out the finished product on an old Olivetti typewriter. Now the computer makes us lazy.


So here is a poem about writing, written some time back. (Sorry, not the Greatest Poem).
-----------------


WRITING


sometimes

i struggled

with blunt pencil

record fleeting thoughts

on torn computer paper


in hope

that these squiggles

would see light

in a book .


30-05-89

6 Comments:

Blogger Bluesky_Liz said...

I agree -- there's something different about writing on paper.

I'm in between. I like to jot down ideas and do the first rough draft on paper, but I like to do the actual writing on the computer.

>> Sorry, not the Greatest Poem

I like it. I can relate to it. :)

28 October, 2005 19:15  
Blogger Orso Dorato said...

It's not all that bad. I use paper before i even touch a keyboard so it strikes a chord with me

29 October, 2005 00:01  
Blogger Alson Teo said...

Me too. I like to jot down ideas on paper usually in a notebook I carry along with me.

If you are traveling in the train and you see this weird guy furiously scribbling at one moment and the next moment deep in thought, high chance it might be me. :)

29 October, 2005 00:56  
Blogger floots said...

i much prefer paper
but
the computer makes me write

29 October, 2005 14:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

folks,
it looks like paper is still in vogue.

for me, i like to see the chicken scrawls i made on the paper, it represents my thoughts and mood at that point in time. like a piece of art!

DP, i also carry a little black book around, won't know when my muse will decide to wake up!

29 October, 2005 15:08  
Blogger kittyn said...

hmmm....when did I realise i liked writing?? was in secondary school and on paper because i didn't have convenient access to computers yet...

nowadays, I prefer to write using the computer... perhaps i like the speed at which I can edit and i hate my own handwriting...and I much rather store my drafts in the computer than leave them lying around...got enough mess around my room already...

02 November, 2005 09:47  

Post a Comment

<< Home