Sunday, November 11, 2018

who moved my fries?

From my SingPoWriMo archives. Yes, no eyeballs at my other blog.

When you are trying to write poetry but got terribly distracted...



illustration by cd20 at pixabay


who moved my fries?


and here i am sitting in a cafe
goofing-off
with the other unhappy, loathsome
loafers
perhaps all in need of some help
with their time
watching the ice in that cup of coke
dying off
and trying to nurse that packet of fries
oh shit
so i feel like a stalker watching those
happy kids with their happy meals
those boys and girls from the nearby school
dating
on the pretext of studying biology
oh you can't fool me on that
and why the heck was i here?
oh yes, trying to write a poem like this
because this is the month of april
maybe if i am lucky i can wring some verses
from this joint
but mainly it is because of the
free wi-fi

but damn, the fries are moving fast
it will not last till evening.



written          : 01/04/2016
lightly edited : 11/11/2018
**********************

Took out all the f words. Maybe I shouldn't. Getting soft.







And, to get back to the world after this, listen to the poetry of Graham Nash - I Used To Be A King






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2018

Labels: , , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I recognize the feeling of being a stalker when you watch kids. I am like that with dogs, since my housing wont let me have one. I watch them so longingly.

11 November, 2018 23:51  
Blogger brudberg said...

I do love the observations of the youths here... maybe it boils down to the weight of our aging that we feel the guilt of observing.

12 November, 2018 01:03  
Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

Now I want fries .. haha 💜 but yes I can relate to the feeling of being distracted while trying to write a poem and that too in April when the pressure is high.. oops! 😊

12 November, 2018 01:31  
Blogger annell4 said...

Sometimes it seems we are empty, no matter the intention.

12 November, 2018 03:39  
Blogger annell4 said...

Sometimes the words just won't come.

12 November, 2018 04:11  
Anonymous Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

I love your observations and how you captured them here....people watching and writing poetry.....two great past times!

12 November, 2018 05:27  
Blogger Mary said...

Ah, you have really set the scene well. I do remember times I went somewhere just to experience fre wifi. The fries are inconsequential. Smiles.

12 November, 2018 07:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sherry,

I can understand your feeling with dogs. :)
i like observing things. people, dogs, cats. the other day, i was observing a community cat near my home (whether it will hunt a bird, nay, it didn't do that) when it came and climbed all over me. it was expecting me to feed it, i suppose. :D


Bjorn,

maybe you have a point here, the weight of our aging. but i think it's good to have a little interest in everything. keeps the aging mind going & nimble. :)


Sanaa,

yes, i was doing a poem a day then. maybe that was the wrong place to go? :D

12 November, 2018 09:12  
Blogger KB said...

All I can think about now are fries :)

12 November, 2018 14:46  
Blogger Old Egg said...

Curiously the distractions from writing poetry could in fact be the very prompt you want as of course you demonstrate in this poem. I quite like going to the cafe each day and solve the papers crossword on the pretext of observing people for a future poem.

12 November, 2018 17:57  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

annell,

when we hit a block, the wall is hard to come down. more so if there is a deadline. :)


Donna,

yes, two great past times. people watching can produce some good poetry. :)


Mary,

the fries are inconsequential! haha!
over here, there are many places with free wifi now. train stations, hospitals, most malls. previously, it was mostly cafes and fast food joints.

12 November, 2018 22:01  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

KB,

:D


Robin,

i think, observing people is a very good source for future poems. what they do, what they say, how they dressed, their moods. i have written poems on specific people after talking and interacting with them.
crosswords keep our minds nimble. i used to do crosswords, but the papers stopped publishing them some time back.

12 November, 2018 22:25  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Yes of course, the free wifi, lol. This was fun to read – and you inspire me. It's a long time since I did any café writing; it might be just the thing to get my words flowing again.

13 November, 2018 19:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

the free wifi! the writing was just an excuse. :D
and besides, writing outside at a cafe or park can feel different from writing in the comfort of the home.

13 November, 2018 20:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home