Thursday, December 15, 2011

geography lessons

This is something from my school days, and that was eons ago. Although I was in the "Science" class (supposedly to be the better classes) I remembered I did quite well in the exams for geography than the maths and sciences that were the priority. Oh well.

I am posting this for Thursday Poets Rally Week 58.






image by dsnake1



geography lessons



I loved geography lessons
not most of my class.
Our teacher Mr. Newton from Texas
drawled in an accent that's hypnotic
and lured some of the guys to sleep,
not me.
And poor Mr. Newton won't know
what to do with them,
he couldn't throw a chalk at the deadbeats
not like Mr Tan of Physics class.
So I paid attention
and was quite good,
knew that Bikini was a nuked island
and oxbows were not weapons,
while most of them
fidgeted in their chairs, chewed gum
and hoped that Miss Pang
the sexy literature teacher
would walk past,
just some slight distraction.
And we had a guy
we called Chairman Mao
who would debate fervently
with Mr. Newton
the virtues of communism
over the capitalist pigs,
the proletarian will triumph
over the bourgeoisie
and the whole damn class
would groan
and wish for recess.



27/07/06
********






After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager".

-- William S. Burroughs






badge : rally




© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2011

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Maxwell Mead Williams Robinson Barry said...

funny memories.
well done!

15 December, 2011 23:57  
Anonymous Marbles in My Pocket said...

Sounds just like some of the classrooms I sat in way back when. Very nice write. I like it!
http://charleslmashburn.wordpress.com/2011/12/14/a-thousand-candles/

15 December, 2011 23:59  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Morning,

Thank you! yes, there are fond memories of my school days. :)


Charles,

:)

so, do you like geography? :D

16 December, 2011 00:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vivid memories of school. RECESS! :)

16 December, 2011 01:17  
Blogger tinkwelborn said...

Ha ha….a prose poem on the under-stimulating effects of a school…funny depiction.

nice piece…..thanks for sharing.

16 December, 2011 04:13  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

jennifaye,

Recess! the best part of the school day. :)
thanks for visiting!


tinkwelborn,

yes, under-stimulating is the word!
thanks for your comment. :)

16 December, 2011 08:55  
Anonymous The Orange Tree said...

what a sweet note.

16 December, 2011 23:18  
Blogger ashok said...

Geography was my fav subject in school :)

interesting attempt here...well done!

16 December, 2011 23:35  
Anonymous Ravenblack said...

I did like geography but I didn't get to take the subject for the O-levels. That sounds a bit like my secondary school class. There's always some guy who can talk, and others would just roll their eyes.

17 December, 2011 08:47  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Orange Tree,

thank you! :)


Ashok,

It is? but you are an architect. :)


Raven,

those were recollections from my secondary school classes, and we did have some very interesting characters. i took geography for my O-levels and did pretty well. can't say the same for Chinese though. :D

17 December, 2011 21:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice one! Reminded me a bit of my geography classes, which weren't my favourite ones though. Maybe because I had to write an important exam from this subject later... Sigh

19 December, 2011 20:12  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

:)

i think most people are bored or scared of geography as a subject.
thanks for the visit, megdalena!

19 December, 2011 23:34  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo. I can just see the scene you set so clearly in my mind.

22 December, 2011 20:58  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

thank you, Madeleine, for your visit and kind comments. :)

22 December, 2011 21:31  

Post a Comment

<< Home