Friday, November 18, 2005

A Mercenary's Tale

A Mercenary's Tale
image by dsnake1

In war, sometimes there is also love. A soldier pauses and thinks of his family faraway at home. A trooper kisses a snapshot of his beloved during a lull in battle. Squad members looking out for each other in the bush.

I wrote this poem about a soldier telling his love about his adventures. It is an imaginary tale but it could have happened in any civilization, any war.

--------------------------------


A Mercenary’s Tale

you sat by the steppe's fire
idly stirring the flaming embers
as sparks crackled
in the cold wintry night
you sat listening , intently
to my tales of slaughter
i and my horse-sword
how i rode with the devil's forces
i knew you did not blame me
why i sold my sword for money

the Central Plains i rode
are barren
the crops failed
vultures & wild hounds picking on
diseased bones
a hundred years of war , the reasons long murky
between the fiefdoms
kings and dukes and serfs
fell like scythed hay
ragged troops plundered
ravaged villages
dead peasants laid amid ruined harvests..

you sat listening intently
the light of the fire bouncing off
your liquid eyes
the glow on your face
more beautiful than dawn's light.

June 1991

********


2 Comments:

Blogger Orso Dorato said...

I cant really decide what i like about this. I just do.

Also a favor whilst im here. Do you mind taking a look at my blog and telling me what you think of the short story i posted? Thanks in advance.

21 November, 2005 09:06  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

orso,
glad you like this poem.

i have posted my opinions about your short story in your blog. :)
Don't give up!

22 November, 2005 23:13  

Post a Comment

<< Home