Sunday, July 14, 2019

jenny

This was written for NaPoWriMo 2009, the prompt was to write about "an old flame". Ah, once I was young and reckless, as most beach-going school students were...



pencil sketch by dsnake1
coloured digitally with PicsArt



jenny



water nymph
       she is
     taut body
in tight swimsuit
     nubile curves
jet black hair
wet
dripping diamonds
out of
     the waves
like Botticcelli's Venus
her laughter
is the Sirens'song
her hands
outstretched
     to me

and me
mesmerised
plunge to her
like a doomed
       sailor
         to rocks



11/04/2009
**********


to jenny, wherever you may be





"Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach.
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."

-- T.S. Eliot, The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2019

Labels: , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Myrna R. said...

Nice. What a great description of Jenny. The last lines are superb. I like the pencil drawing too. (I love to draw but never tried the digital coloring.)

15 July, 2019 00:13  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Plunging to her like a doomed sailor to rocks made me smile. You are good at sketching!

15 July, 2019 00:53  
Blogger C. Sandlin said...

This both brings on the nostalgia--summers in the water, chasing after crushes--and makes me wonder how often what we think we see (or want to see) interferes with what we could see...that is, how we can be enthralled into a narrative and maybe don't see as widely/clearly as we might wish later.

15 July, 2019 01:19  
Blogger Mary said...

What a wonderful description of jenny! But, alas, the ending took me by surprise. Smiles.

15 July, 2019 04:10  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Wow, what a beautiful evocation, the ultimate in romanticism. (It is good to remember the mermaids singing – even if, these days, we are reduced to paddling with our trousers rolled up.).

15 July, 2019 07:59  
Blogger Truedessa said...

I take it this didn't end very well. The doom tells it all.

15 July, 2019 08:41  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Myrna,

thank you!
there are many such software on the net, free or otherwise. i have used paintshop pro, nic collection & picsart.


Sherry,

thank you! :)


Chrissa,

oh yes, that was perhaps "for the moment". when we were younger, we don't always think of the consequences. :)

15 July, 2019 11:02  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Mary,

that was me at that time, reckless & stupid. :)


Rosemary,

yes, it's good to remember the mermaids singing. :)


Truedessa,

after that we went our separate ways and lost touch... :(

15 July, 2019 14:36  
Blogger Old Egg said...

Not so many mermaids about these days with all the trash we are putting in the oceans but I've put a sign up on my closest beach to say they can come and swim in my bath.

15 July, 2019 19:12  
Blogger ayala said...

Lovely words and drawing!

15 July, 2019 19:25  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Robin,

good for you, friend! let me know if any took up your invitation. :)


ayala,

Thank you! :)

15 July, 2019 21:20  
Blogger Rommy said...

Sounds like Jenny gave love a bad name, or was just too true to the siren legacy. At least there's life after the wreckage, but that doesn't make a young heart feel better in that moment.

16 July, 2019 09:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

nope, the young heart (and brain) couldn't think logical in that moment. :D
thank you, Rommy.

17 July, 2019 00:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home