Sunday, April 28, 2019

Wolf May Cry

I took a fairy tale (and some) and turned it on its head. 😁



Image by ArtsyBee at pixabay



Wolf May Cry


It was a very glorious morning, but Little Blue Riding Hood was not too sure about visiting her grandmother, whose house was in the deep woods.There were warnings of wolves in the forest, but the berries that she picked yesterday were too red and plump not to give to grandma.

"Just be careful, if you must go", her mother had said. "I wish I could go with you but there is work to be done here".

The journey through the woods was quite uneventful until she was near her grandmother's cottage. Then she saw it. A wolf on the trail, a huge one, yawning and picking its teeth with a wood splinter.

"Ah, good morning!" said the wolf

"Are you going to eat me up?", asked Little Blue, marveling at her new found courage.

The wolf blinked. A slight pause of silence, then Little Blue said, "the villagers, the town folks say wolves love to eat..."

"All fake news! They made us look like serial killers!" said the wolf, a little hint of agitation in his voice.

"But why?"

"Simple! It's all economics. It provide jobs. The huntsmen, the trap-makers, the blacksmiths. Say, you do not seem to be afraid of me."

"I wonder too. They also said you made too much noise at night, the howls."

"It wasn't us. The coyotes. Our miserable cousins. They are always quarreling. There you go, misinformation again!"

"I am here to see my grandmother, but I fear you have already eaten her."

"Oh, nonsense! I just talked with her, I think it's your grandma, a short while ago. Such a nice lady!"

"It's a strange conversation I am having. I am going to meet my grandma, if you are not going to eat me.

"No, Alice. Please be on your way. And don't forget your nice basket", said the wolf, standing aside.

"Alice? You're confusing me with another girl. The one who dropped into a rabbit hole?"

"Oh, silly me! Anyway, young lady, I need to run along. There's a little boy who keeps calling my name over that yonder village. Need to see what he wants." And with that, he sprinted off like a huntsman was after him.

Little Blue continued her journey and before long, was at her grandma's place. She found her grandmother clearing up some debris at her vegetable beds.

"Grandma, what happened?", asked a concerned Little Blue.

"Oh sweetheart, it is all right! It's those pesky three pigs. They came and tried to blow down the house, and all they managed to do was destroy part of the fence and this bed of carrots", said grandma.

"But isn't it the bad wolf who..." her voice trailing off.

"Yes, dear, the wolf. It was a good thing he was passing by. He chased those nasties away. He told them he will turn them into pork chops if they ever dare to show up here again.Then he helped me put up those fences. I invited him inside for some tea and muffins and then he left."

Little Blue grinned. It had been a very strange day. "And I think your muffins are a bit hard", she said.

"Dear, how do you know that?", asked a puzzled grandmother.

"Never mind", said Little Blue,"but I still want some of those muffins".


05/04/2019
**********


not a poem! 😁




“Curiouser and curiouser!”

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland



Shared on Poetry Pantry #478 at Poets United. This was supposed to be for an edition of Prose Pantry, but it would not pass muster as it weighed in at 500 over words.





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2019

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I'm so glad I finally know the true story!

28 April, 2019 23:28  
Blogger brudberg said...

What a wonderful mashup of stories... and I feel for the wolf who has been shunned in so many ways.

29 April, 2019 01:19  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I enjoyed this so much. Wolves get a bad reputation as, generally, they avoid humans, being a sensible species. This was much fun to read. I wondered about the hard muffins? Did the wolf have a broken tooth perhaps? LOL.

29 April, 2019 01:23  
Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

I can't tell you how much I loved this narrative!!❤️ Bravo!!

29 April, 2019 01:26  
Blogger Mary said...

I just saw your writing here, and I am going to have to delete the link. As this is the week for poetry. Prose is next week. Hope to see you then.

29 April, 2019 02:23  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rosemary,

the true story? :D


Bjorn,

thank you!
wolves, snakes, foxes... :)


Sherry,

you would know much about wolves. :)

:D


29 April, 2019 21:22  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sanaa,

thank you! :)


Mary,

thanks!
i am okay with the link deletion.

29 April, 2019 21:26  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Cheong Lee San, I absolutely love this story. Not just because I'm partial to fairy tale retellings, but also because you've done it so well. I love the way you've weaved current issues (difficult to address current issues) and into classic stories... and turned the whole into a piece of writing that allows us to look some terrible truths in the eye and still laugh.

I truly hope you participate on next weeks Pantry of Prose.

30 April, 2019 01:37  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Magaly!
i am glad you mentioned 'current issues'. :)
i hope to get one story out for the Pantry of Prose.

30 April, 2019 15:30  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is definately a great deal to find out about this issue.

I like all the points you've made.

30 April, 2019 21:56  
Blogger Rommy said...

*snicker* I would love to know what is on the muffins. I hope Little Blue keeps questioning and more importantly, asks the right questions. It is a big world with too many people who hope we take it at face value only.

04 May, 2019 20:55  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, Rommy, for the visit!

I would like to know what is on the muffins too, but the guys are keeping quiet. :)
the problem is in this well connected world, there are many groups with their agendas, hoping to influence everyone their way. :(

04 May, 2019 23:19  
Blogger Reba said...

I love how you combined different fairytales and created this well written, fun twist on Little Red Riding hood.

06 May, 2019 07:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Reba.
it was quite fun writing it, actually. :)

06 May, 2019 21:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home