Sunday, October 28, 2007

after work

I work shifts, so sometimes when i knocked off work, it's way past 8 p.m. It's a lousy time, because the rest of the night is usually ruined. I told myself that's not so bad, hey, there are some that's just starting work at this hour...

Have to put food on the table...

I think the following poem could be better, but I am too tired to edit anymore. :)


chain-link fence
image enhanced by dsnake1
photo from imageafter.com



after work


the night smothered me
in a sweaty embrace,
i wiped the condensation
off my glasses,
waved to the guards
as i walked out of
the compound,
the chain-link
fence.

across the road
a whiff of
cooked spices
from the restaurants
piqued my hunger,
as cars and buses
thundered past
red tail lights
flaring
angry and red.

i walked,
boots cruching on
dead leaves, twigs,
taking my time,
my fitness is
not what it used to be,
the heart aches
in more reasons
than one.

tonight i was lucky,
the damn bus
was not late,
nor was it packed
to the rafters,
but the driver
was still sullen.
and that

i can understand.

12/10/07
********


mood of the day
the mood is tired

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger floots said...

i have not worked shifts for a l-o-o-o-o-ng time
but this brought it back to me
thank you (i think) :)

28 October, 2007 22:46  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

floots,
lucky you! :)

28 October, 2007 23:19  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I as a teacher have not worked in shifts. Thanks for letting me know how it feels.

29 October, 2007 02:03  
Blogger polona said...

this conveys the feeling very well...

29 October, 2007 04:04  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

great description!

29 October, 2007 12:04  
Blogger magiceye said...

dead beat... perfect

29 October, 2007 23:15  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dsnake,
I feel like I'm there with you "in your bones", so to speak. Caged in more ways than one...

30 October, 2007 11:02  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

gautami,
no problem. :)
i don't think our teachers work shifts too. not that i know of.

polona,
thanks! just want to rant a bit. :)

andrew,
thank you. :)

magiceye,
"dead beat", yeah, dead on! :)

gel,
i like the way you said "caged", that was the word i was looking for. :)

30 October, 2007 23:10  
Blogger S.L. Corsua said...

Your writing retains its creativity even when you 'rant a bit' (i.e. for release) -- you've carefully managed to show and not simply tell. ^_^

Hope you're feeling better. Cheers!

01 November, 2007 17:56  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

_soulless_,
thanks for your comments!
sometimes it's the drudgery that gets you down. I am Ok since i am able to write about it. :)

01 November, 2007 23:20  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Hey there!
Make sure you get a well deserved break on weekends - there's lots of things you can do to get that sanity back and feel like yourelf again and not some mindless robot. I feel that way alot too...but thankfully I have my plants and night walks to occupy my 'other life' :) There's something about gardening or just digging your hands into the soil that is 100% relaxing! Try lah!

03 November, 2007 11:49  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hey EP, since i work shifts, some weekends are burnt.i guess that's what's happening to a lot of ppl in Sg. No choice lah, last time played a fool in school. In fact, this year is much better that last year's, but i seem to be complaining more.. :)

sure gardening is relaxing? don't think i will be good at it, but thanks for the tip. :)
i will stick to my cycling, bowling & blogging to stay sane. :)

03 November, 2007 23:30  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

As you said, perhaps its just the drudgery and monotony. I tell myself its' just a job and like what you say, it pays the bills and I think about what's more important to me and what makes me happy.

I'm not good at gardening, if the plants survive and thrives, its probably by some freak accident. But it feels nice to eat what I plant e.g. curry leaves, thai basil, italian basil and mint leaves...pushes me to cook too...HA!

04 November, 2007 14:46  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

growing herbs, that's good. it's even better when you can taste the fruits of your labour. :)

04 November, 2007 19:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home