Monday, December 24, 2012

over the rooftops

I wrote this for NaPoWriMo 2012, the last poem of the series. I wrote this on a wet rainy day looking out from my kitchen window, and this piece was also partly inspired by a Henry David Thoreau poem.

I should have written something more cheerful, but I had a very tough week at work, so I think this will do. :)





photo by camellia
image frrom morguefile.com




over the rooftops


over the rooftops from which the blackbirds have passed
the clouds hung like a wet veil as the evening retreated
a flash of lightning lit up a second, white as a shroud
the wind moaned by, trapping dust and leaves in its blast.


30/04/2012
**********





and this is the poem that inspired the above :


On Fields O'er Which the Reaper's Hand Has Pass'd


On fields o'er which the reaper's hand has pass'd
Lit by the harvest moon and autumn sun,
My thoughts like stubble floating in the wind
And of such fineness as October airs,
There after harvest could I glean my life
A richer harvest reaping without toil,
And weaving gorgeous fancies at my will
In subtler webs than finest summer haze.

-- Henry David Thoreau



I am posting this for Poetry Pantry #129 at Poets United.




©cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2012

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice...i like it much, you paint a vivid picture in your words...

i hope the rough week does not steal the joy of the season...merry christmas to you as well...smiles.

25 December, 2012 00:04  
Blogger Mary said...

Great descriptions in your poem. I do like "clouds hung like a wet veil..." and you really evoked the idea of a storm well here.

25 December, 2012 01:56  
Blogger aelfbee said...

Cheerful doesn't always work, but seeing the world around you does.

25 December, 2012 04:38  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Brian,

thank you!
no, the bad week doesn't get me down, i just like to gripe about it. i am looking forward to some merry-making this weekend. it's wonderful to have a friend like you. :)


Mary,

thanks! i seem to write well on anything stormy. :)


Libby,

you put it so spot-on here, "seeing the world around you does."

thank you. :)

25 December, 2012 10:06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

?

31 December, 2012 20:40  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

??

31 December, 2012 22:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home