Monday, December 10, 2012

and a time for love

This poem is part of a collection that I submitted to a nation-wide poetry competition a few years back.

It is actually part of a longer poem that I wrote. I chopped off some parts and this is the result. This poem is about some of the experiences I encountered while living in a rough neighbourhood during my younger days.

If you are wondering, no, I did not win any prizes in the competition. :)






image by dsnake1
drawn with Sketchpad from mugtug.com



and a time for love



the scimitar of a moon
hung delicately in a cobalt dome
of dancing stars

as the rain trees
spread their arms their leaves
rustled in a chorus of joy

her hands in mine
warm as morning's light, quiet
there was no need for words

through the chatter of
the crickets, the cicada bands
we tried to catch Sirius

in our hands



31/07/2007
revised 08/12/2012
**********





"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."

-- H. Jackson Brown, Jr.



This is for Poetry Pantry Week # 127.




© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2012

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice...trying to catch the moon with a lover....great magic in that...its the little sounds, the crickets and cicadas that really make this come alive for me...

10 December, 2012 01:38  
Blogger Mary said...

Just beautiful! I love your way with words.

10 December, 2012 02:00  
Blogger aelfbee said...

A time for love - and the right setting too!

10 December, 2012 04:53  
Blogger Sabio Lantz said...

very pretty --- something chopping something down in size makes it more beautiful, eh?

10 December, 2012 05:21  
Anonymous WabiSabi said...

I loved this little slip of a poem.(sometimes brevity is exquisite) You conveyed so much in so few words, I felt like I witnessed a special moment. Thanks for sharing this!

10 December, 2012 07:44  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Brian,

thanks for your comment.
yes, i feel the same about the sounds of the crickets & cicadas too. it adds another dimension to the poem. :)



Mary,

thank you for your kind words. :)



Libby,

yes, the right setting too, thank you. :)



Sabio,

oh yes, indeed.
chopping, and sometimes pruning, can certainly help in poetry. i usually like my poetry to be short, maybe because i have a short attention span. :D



WabiSabi,


i liked your description, "little slip of a poem". :)
and yes, for me, it was a special moment.

10 December, 2012 20:23  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love this piece, both in content and length. In poetry, I favor concision. As you have done here, paring away repetition and excess creates a condensation of word and meaning. Masterful.

11 December, 2012 01:42  
Blogger rallentanda said...

A lovely snippet.Cicadas and crickets define us..like mangoes and the moonsoon. I like your artwork as well

11 December, 2012 09:47  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Kim,

thanks for your kind words. when i started writing poetry (and that was a long time ago), my verses were a bit lengthy, and they seemed to lack substance, was too ranty and repetitive, and rhymed too much (yes, ironic). as my writing evolved, my style leans more towards shorter verses.


rallentanda,

thank you! mangoes and the monsoon? let me guess,India? Philippines? :)
glad that you liked my artwork. i like to do pencil sketches but this particular one was done using a free online software.

11 December, 2012 20:15  
Blogger ashok said...

loved this!

pls join
www.poetry.com

16 December, 2012 19:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you,ashok!

i have joined the site. are you a member too?

17 December, 2012 20:08  

Post a Comment

<< Home