Saturday, May 05, 2007

A poem with no 'E's

Some time back, the poetry forum where I used to hang out organised a poetry exercise where the members were asked to write a poem without the vowel 'E'.

I wrote one, but I guessed it wasn't too good. I was trying too hard! Recently I took out the original, polished it up a bit, (come to think of it, it's almost a total redo), and here it is, a poem with no 'e's. :)



candle flame
image from www.bigfoto.com


coming back



midnight
at my corridor

i
thought i saw things
      unholy

a shadow
      gliding
at a lift landing

as a dog howls,
primordial,
      distant

barking at

a sky of rusty slag
      bulging
with a storm

a wind mobilizing
X-wings
swooping in

on dim corridors
in
attack flights

as i turn
a lock
on my door

and walk
into a warm room
to my child
hugging a pikachu

smiling
waiting
for daddy.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
08.07.05
revised 26.04.07
****************



I wanted the title to be "coming home", but no 'e's, you know.
I would love to do a sketch too, but it's hard to draw dim corridors or x-wings. Truth is, I am a bit lazy this week. :)

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger floots said...

no e
but lots of ah in that ending
well done

05 May, 2007 18:54  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

A challenge well met. Kind of like writing a poem with one "vowel" tied behind your back. Good job!!

05 May, 2007 20:29  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

floots,
thank you. :D

pat,
i like that, a vowel tied behind my back. :) Thanks!

06 May, 2007 08:54  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

That was good. Spooky feeling but ended well.

07 May, 2007 00:51  
Blogger polona said...

wow! love it, dsnake!

07 May, 2007 02:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rather comforting at the end of it. :)

- Liz

07 May, 2007 10:53  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

excellent! effortless! extraordinary! :)

07 May, 2007 13:38  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, gautami.
i was trying to evoke a contrast between the chill outside and the warmth inside the room. :)

polona,
thank you! a WOW! from you is always welcome. :)

Liz,
thanks! I am not sure whether you have joined the forum at that time, or you had taken part in the exercise. :)

hi andrew,
so many "e"s? :)
thank you!

07 May, 2007 21:27  
Blogger magiceye said...

Fantastic! (no es) :)

07 May, 2007 22:52  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

et tu? :)
no 'e's!

08 May, 2007 23:42  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good way of describing, and good paragraph to get facts concerning my presentation focus,
which i am going to deliver in university.

My weblog ... http://beautyandthebookshelf.blogspot.com

23 May, 2013 21:52  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thanks for visiting!

24 May, 2013 22:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home