Saturday, February 18, 2006

Pussyfoot

Not a Pussyfoot
image by dsnake1

Pussyfoot.

The word just popped into my mind while I was having my tea at the coffeeshop today.Maybe it was the cat padding around under the tables. Maybe I have turned soft and nostalgic. Whatever the trigger, the word brought back a flood of memories.

I was young then, just out of the army and looking for a way to survive. I took on this job at a nightclub in Geylang, waiting on tables and serving drinks. It was a real sleazy place; triads, loan sharks, con-men. The management had advised, keep your eyes open, and your mouth shut and you should be fine. So the first day at work, someone ordered "pussyfoot", and I sort of went "huh?", what the heck was that?

I went to the counter, repeated the word as I remembered (which wasn't too difficult), and the bartender nonchalantly poured out something as if that was the most ordinary thing in the world. In my vocabulary at that time, drinks meant beer, stout, brandy, whisky and rum, the hard stuff.

Turned out a pussyfoot is a non-alcoholic concoction of a few fruit juices served chilled. I also found out that it was indeed the most ordinary thing in the club, a favourite with the ladies. Nice to sip with, and nowhere near potent enough to be knocked out, so the men couldn't take advantage of them.Of course the men wouldn't be seen dead with that drink, heavens! They want stuff that is a bit stiff.

The tips were good, those people there threw money around like water. I came to work with a few coins in my pockets, and went home with a fistful of notes. The management had warned, do not pocket tips yourself, but I was young and brash then, and everybody else was doing it, to hell with the rules. It was good money. The tobacco smoke was another matter.

It's amazing, what a word, buried in the deep recesses of the memory, can somehow surfaced and brings back a train of images...

4 Comments:

Blogger floots said...

hi
there is a lovely relaxed feel to this
i could use a pussyfoot myself
as i've
just been digging (again)
sweating on a frosty day
good to share a memory

thanks also for your visit
i'll respond here as i'll be
changing posts soon
glad you liked the "footprint"
cheers

19 February, 2006 23:23  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

floots,
kind of like hit a wall trying to write poetry lately. so wrote something frivolous and relaxed. :)

21 February, 2006 20:19  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheee tat was the 1st "drink" i ever had! din like it so i moved on to the hard stuff! hahahaha....

23 February, 2006 14:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hey panda, you have tried this drink? :)
i like anything with vodka.

23 February, 2006 23:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home