Sunday, February 13, 2022

come home, we will enjoy the spring

Come home.
This year, we’ll enjoy the spring.

*

from “Rows of Small Mountains” by Li Qingzhao (translated by Wendy Chen)

I was inspired by the lines from the above poem (and some intense longing). This is a prompt from the Bibliomancy Oracle. It can work in tender ways.



photo by Han Chenxu from Unsplash



come home, we will enjoy the spring


on new year's day
i switch on all
the lights in the house
because the new year
will be much brighter
like this, or so
the ancients said.

i try my best but there is still so much dust on the window grills, i do not have your eye for details.

this year, we will enjoy the spring.
i have some flowers
in the old vase
there is beer in the fridge
and oranges and cola
and some prawns and greens
which i may or may not cook

i try my best but i am getting old, my memory misses a step and i wonder about that teardrop on my cheek.

come home, come home,
we will enjoy the spring.
we will switch on the lights
we will knock off the beer
we will eat the food i cooked
we will hug and love and live
like the old days


08/09/2019
**********







Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (Acoustic Cover by MonaLisa Twins)





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2022

Labels: , , ,

18 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

This hit the spot at my house. Yes, the ladies are more picky about dust on the window sills and furniture than we are. I'd come; I have a few old friends I'd like to invite to mine, if I could find them now.
..

13 February, 2022 19:46  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hehe, we are okay with just a bit of cleaning. 😁

a long time ago, i had many visitors to my house during the New Year, sometimes the whole office came and the clean-up afterwards was a beast, but it was fun. Nowadays it's so much quieter, only relatives come, most of the friends are gone or uncontactable. 😦

13 February, 2022 21:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely lovely poem. A little sad though.Sounds like great fun at your place. As one ages it does get quieter and we lose touch with a lot of people but we can meet new people on the poetry blogs and cheer each other up. Chin up ! Cressida

14 February, 2022 00:41  
Blogger  said...

“oranges and cola
and some prawns and greens” ... Yum. That sounds perfect.

“i try my best but i am getting old,” ... Boy do I relate to that.

Beautiful poem. <3

14 February, 2022 03:24  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

Oh, so poignant!

14 February, 2022 06:05  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

PS I have bookmarked the Bibliomancy Oracle.

14 February, 2022 06:05  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Cressida,

Yes, this is supposed to be a sad poem, though it has the lunar new year as the background. It's true, we lost touch with a lot of people as the years go along, but we can also meet new friends. :)




oh yes, we can relate to a lot of things reading other's poetry. :)

14 February, 2022 20:25  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rosemary!

The Bibliomancy Oracle. Strangely, I find I can write pretty good (in my opinion) poems using its generator. If I hit a wall writing, I would make a trip there. :)

14 February, 2022 20:29  
Blogger colleen said...

This just makes me happy!

15 February, 2022 03:27  
Blogger Rommy said...

This line tugged at my heart: i try my best but i am getting old, my memory misses a step and i wonder about that teardrop on my cheek.

I can feel the ache that time will never quite soothe. I feel the longing for days past and the hope of tender reunion. This is such a moving piece.

15 February, 2022 04:28  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Colleen,

😁
All the drinking and feasting?


Rommy,

Thank you!
yes, it is a festive celebration that is quite different in a way.

15 February, 2022 19:18  
Anonymous Rajani said...

This is such a beautiful poem.. from the dusty window to the teardrop to the trying one's best and the may or may not cook.. absolutely lovely mood.

16 February, 2022 19:19  
Anonymous Jewish Young Professional "JYP" said...

This is beautiful. Balancing the traditions of the new year and the expected anticipation with the more sobering, lonely realities. I really felt that tension in this piece.

16 February, 2022 20:40  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Rajani,

Thank you!
I am glad the imagery works.
I think the illustration i selected was quite appropriate. :)


JYP,

Thank you!
yes, it is like walking a very fine line. :)

16 February, 2022 22:11  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

Tender is a good word to describe this one. It reads like easy meditation, like a chant that caresses the soul with its invitation. Love the ending.

I hope the Lunar New Year brings luck and wonder to you and yours.

16 February, 2022 22:55  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Magaly!

I am writing this hoping for what the new year can bring, and is saddened by what I have lost. :)

17 February, 2022 22:07  
Blogger Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post

05 March, 2022 18:38  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Rajani! :)

05 March, 2022 20:26  

Post a Comment

<< Home