Sunday, September 08, 2013

she sang of seagulls

I wrote this for NaPoWriMo. I wanted to write this for some time, a love poem (sort of). There were bits and pieces of phrases and ideas in my old notebooks. My muse must have been moved. I threw out some words, added in some new lines, and yes, i was quite satisfied with the result.

It was for a woman who had changed my life for the better...




photo by alvimann
image from morguefile.com




she sang of seagulls



she sang of seagulls
and blue skies
resoluteness
and her need to fly
soared with the wind

on wings of light
and should you fall
she said
pick yourself up
like those gulls

that braved the squalls
the dark seas
spread your wings
glide with the clouds
and be free

and someday, she said
if i am not with you,
and you missed me
look up at those gulls
by the sea.

one of them
could be me.


11/04/2012
**********


-- to carol





“Someone you knew in another life, honey.”

― Stephen King, 11/22/63



"seagull" sung by Jenny Tseng.


Shared on Poetry Pantry #166 at Poets United.







© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2013

Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger TALON said...

So beautiful. Just loved it. Yes, I believe those who pass before us do visit us in many different forms. We just have to be open and watching.

08 September, 2013 23:29  
Blogger scotthastiepoet said...

Lovely - you had me from the title itself - evocative and heartfelt work.. With Best Wishes Scott www.scotthastie.com

08 September, 2013 23:31  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

TALON,

thank you!
i believe too, sometimes we do sense their presence.


Scott,

thanks for visiting! i will have another poet to follow. :)

08 September, 2013 23:55  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

I loved this one, especially, as I am a huge fan of seagulls and the sea!

09 September, 2013 00:15  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice...what a wise woman eh? i can see why she made an impact...and i like too that she may be one hovering over you...there are those spirits that do tent to hover near...

09 September, 2013 00:45  
Blogger Sumana Roy said...


spread your wings
glide with the clouds
and be free ............my favorite lines...so inspiring..

09 September, 2013 02:14  
Blogger Natašek said...

beautiful. really lovely.

09 September, 2013 03:55  
Blogger Lisa A. Williams said...

What a peaceful feeling one gets from this. To believe that those who passed before us will be there to guide us. Beautiful!

09 September, 2013 05:20  
Blogger Mary said...

I think we all want to be remembered somehow, to have others have a way to remember us. The looking at gulls to remember touched me greatly!

09 September, 2013 07:11  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sherry,

Yes, in a recent post by you at PU, there were photos of you by the sea. :)


Brian,

wise, and kind too. :)


Sumana,

thank you! i liked those lines too. :)


Natasa,

thanks!


Lisa,

it's a wonderful thought, isn't it? :)


Mary,

thank you. she used to sing this chinese song about seagulls, and i loved to hear her sing it. :)

09 September, 2013 22:06  
Blogger Cressida de Nova said...

Beautiful poem...sad that you are separated from each other. I am of the belief that no matter what if you love each other enough you can stay together unless separated by death!

11 September, 2013 11:47  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, Cressida, for the kind comments.

11 September, 2013 22:11  
Blogger ZQ said...

I think I have seen her :-)
A wonderful piece. Of course, after reading it a few times, I edited it to my understanding (in my head) to capture the essence and its existance of departure you so beautifully expressed.
Sorry for my late response...Buried in mindless creative and re-created tasks.
ZQ

12 September, 2013 00:50  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

no problem with the late response, so long you enjoyed the poem. :)
i am buried in mindless work recently, this is becoming a bad week. ( at least yours are creative.)

12 September, 2013 20:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home