Sunday, July 28, 2013

coming back from the coffee shop

This is a post from my NaPoWriMo archives.

My family and I eat out a lot. Not at some fancy restaurants. Just the humble heartlands food courts, coffee shops or fast food joints. Maybe it's the busy lifestyle (hey, all of us are holding a job), or we are just plain lazy to cook. More likely, it's a big hassle to prepare meals at home after a day's work. So the eateries made a lot of dough from us...






drawing by dsnake1





coming back from the coffee shop




coming back from the coffee shop
i am all hot and sweaty
the shirt smells
like a wok
the hair
fried garlic.

in the elevator
my neighbour smiles at me.
her little black dress
impeccably pressed
a whiff
of urban chic.




wri 12/04/2009
rev 27/07/2013
**************








"There are three kinds of people: those who can count and those who cannot."

-- totally useless stuff.



Shared on Poetry Pantry #160 at Poets United.





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2013

Labels: , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger TALON said...

Stark, pure imagery. Just wonderful writing.

28 July, 2013 23:59  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

urban chic, ha.
one of the best things in the city is that it is a melting pot of all the cultures and you can find so much variety of flavors.

cool drawing too man.

29 July, 2013 00:11  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

TALON,

thank you! :)


Brian,

a melting pot, yeah. until i feel like a stranger in my own land. :D
it's true about the vast varieties of flavours.

glad that you liked the drawing. :)

29 July, 2013 00:23  
Blogger Mary said...

Yes, elevators contain a multitude of smells....and they all must find a way to co-exist. Nicely penned!

29 July, 2013 00:51  
Blogger Natašek said...

:) as much as I like eating outside here and there, I hate the smell of clothes afterwards.. like this story.. :)

29 July, 2013 01:18  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

Cool contrast - but as soon as she steps outside, she'll be all hot and sweaty too. Poetic justice!

29 July, 2013 01:44  
Blogger ZQ said...

I didn't mind the sweat and fried garlic but...the hair?? I had to get up and open a window. :-( Nice drawing too, kinda smells nicer :-) :-) :-)
I enjoyed the visit. Keep the window open.
ZQ

29 July, 2013 05:31  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Mary,

oh yes, we must get used to it. :)


Natasa,

thank you! that's one of the problems of eating out. :)


Sherry,

yes, i was trying to paint a picture of contrasts. :)


ZQ,

always appreciate your visits, my friend.
you don't mind the sweat & fried garlic? :)

29 July, 2013 09:29  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I go through spells where I don't want to cook and I eat out or we just all have cereal or sandwiches for dinner lol I really loved this because it is so real

29 July, 2013 20:45  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

for us there isn't much of a choice because of our lifestyles. i really prefer home-cooked meals, but the convenient locations of eateries, varieties of food, and high standard of hygiene demanded by the authorities, draw lots of diners to eat outside.

thanks for your comment, mindlovemisery. :)

30 July, 2013 00:03  
Anonymous tinman said...

Makes me hungry.....for more poetry. :)

30 July, 2013 09:45  
Blogger Suzy said...

I love the comparison and contrast. The hair smelling like a wok made me chuckle.

30 July, 2013 14:41  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

tinman,

thanks!


Suzy,

oh, it's true, especially after spending some time in a non-aircon eatery, the hair does smell like an unwashed wok. (okay, maybe i exaggerate a bit). :D

30 July, 2013 23:45  
Blogger ashok said...

wonderful!

02 August, 2013 12:16  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thanks, Ashok. :)

02 August, 2013 14:57  

Post a Comment

<< Home