Sunday, December 31, 2006

Rained Out

What a poem to end the year. It has been a very wet month, the rain coming down almost every day. I wrote this while waiting for the rain to stop so that I can take my bike out for a ride.

Fat chance.



image by dsnake1


it has been two days and the rain is still falling.


It has been two days and the rain is still falling.
the weathermen said this is the 3rd wettest december ever.

I am holed up in my room feeling totally restless,
listening to the rain, which sounds like a chainsaw buzzing.

My washed laundry are hanging in the house like wet advertisements
flapping ever so dismally as fingers of cold wind brush past.

My crows, they are not at the rooftop of the block across my flat
they must be holed up somewhere too, sullen under some eaves or watertank.

Moths and beetles steal into my house to escape the rain,
planting themselves on bathroom tiles and fluorescent lights.

I don't have the heart to chase them out, not in this weather
but the house gecko is working overtime on a feeding binge.

And again the red night sky tells me that this will go on,
tomorrow will be another wet day, little chance of going out to play.



19.12.06

------------------


I wrote this about 2 weeks back when the weather was the worst. These past 2 days there are lots of sunshine,I hope it remains this way.

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger polona said...

that's as good a rant as i've ever read about the rain...

happy new year, dsnake1!

01 January, 2007 00:21  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

I totally relate. We had quite a few like this, this year!

01 January, 2007 15:47  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Happy New year. Hope the sun shines!

:D

01 January, 2007 15:48  
Blogger floots said...

reminded me that i don't live in the only place where it's raining
(but if i see a gecko here i'll need new pants) :)
all the best

01 January, 2007 15:48  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

Ditto Polona!! Rain is necessary in figuratively and literally, but thank God for the Sun!!!

02 January, 2007 20:37  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

polona,
sorry about a rant on New Year's Eve. :)
while people are out partying i have to catch some sleep as i have to work the next day. :(

a very happy new year to you!

gautami,
thank you, and a happy new year to you! The sun is out these few days! :)

floots,
so it's also wet in the Highlands?
wish i could have a couple of Guinness with you. :)

a happy new year to you, my friend!

pat,
when it is too hot here, we grumbled about the sun, but now we really welcome it. :)

a happy new year to you!

02 January, 2007 22:01  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you couldn't take your bike out. What a rainy record! (I read Bluesky Liz's blog, too so am aware of the weather.) Hope sun comes soon.
You gently let out your feelings in a nicely descriptive way.
(I'll be back to read your stories I spied on earlier posts.)
Take care

03 January, 2007 00:43  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hello gel,
thank you!
we have some warm sunny weather for the past few days so things are getting back to normal. :)

03 January, 2007 00:53  
Blogger J. Andrew Lockhart said...

I wish that we could fix it so it only rains at night. :) I like your work and plan to visit and see more.

03 January, 2007 14:45  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

ha, then i would surely be late for work most mornings. :)

thanks for dropping by, andrew.
now i will have another good site on my visiting list. :)

03 January, 2007 22:06  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

sigmund,
thanks for visiting.

"terrible drought" : where are you writing from, Africa? :)

07 January, 2007 12:02  

Post a Comment

<< Home