Sunday, November 05, 2006

Prayer

The Muse has gone AWOL again, and most days I am staring at a blank sheet of paper. No choice, but to dig deep into my musty archives and I came out with something that I wrote eons ago, when I was young and poor and angry. A hopeful prayer, sort of.

I have made some minor editing to the original; corrected some tenses, delete a line here, add a line there..


Golden Bodhisattva, Beijing -- Photo by El-Branden Brazil
Photo by El-Branden Brazil, used with permission
El-Branden is at The Mystic Traveller


Prayer


Help me, Goddess, to be the always hopeful
who has known countless failures
and will continue to endure,
who who thinks that nothing is impossible,
who believes that one day we will reach the stars.

Let me remember
that out of darkness, is light
that wild flowers can blossom
in poor soil after a cold night
that crab grass, though weak in frame
will not snap in a wind.

Leave me not
to be a lost man in a cold world
or like crippled fighters hopping back to base
like a prisoner counting his days.


31/08/76 to 01/09/76
revised 03/11/06
****************

9 Comments:

Blogger floots said...

seems that crab grass and
(d)snakes still have lots to teach us
thank you for finding and posting this

06 November, 2006 00:29  
Blogger polona said...

oh, this is beautiful!
thank you for posting it.

06 November, 2006 06:32  
Blogger Pat Paulk said...

When we are lost we are found. Love it!!

06 November, 2006 21:26  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

floots,
hope i didn't sound too preachy. :)

polona,
you're so kind! glad you like it. :)

yes,pat, those were times of youthful angst.
"When we are lost we are found" : i like that!

06 November, 2006 22:10  
Blogger gautami tripathy said...

Don't worry, muse will be back.

I love your prayer!

07 November, 2006 02:14  
Blogger Plus Ultra said...

Lovely, I like this prayer that express the hearts desire to be more than what we are, please get to my blog to see the latest posting in comments section.....

07 November, 2006 06:49  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

The good thing about your muse going awol is that it's making you take out all these old pieces -- I've enjoyed reading them. I really like the last strophe of this one.

07 November, 2006 22:04  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hi gautami,
thank you for visiting! i hope the muse will be back fast, otherwise, more old poems! :)

hey plus,
what a wonderful comment you posted in response to my comment in your blog. you're right, "the conscious is that which we know, experienced and is therefore finite". It is the "unconscious" (or sub-conscious?) that is limitless, but which little is known about.

Some of my better poems were written in a very short span of time, as if a tap is turned on, and the words just flowed out. (this year was rather productive, poetry-wise!)
So i really don't know what drives that. it is as if there is another personality living inside me that's driving all these creativity. for want of a better word i called this my muse. I know this sounds crazy, but that's what i think. maybe i'm really crazy!

"Artists are beings who, in some strange and unintended way, can unleash the immense power that lies coiled inside them."I like that! May I also add sportsmen, soldiers and yes , even ordinary folks in times of crisis.

hope you guys are not bored by this long comment. :)

07 November, 2006 22:26  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

hey liz,
i was replying to comments from plus and gautami when you were making yours!

so my old poems are okay? thank you!

while shifting house a few years back, i lost one journal of my better poems. still heartache. :)
trying to recall some of it, and rewrite but it's difficult.

07 November, 2006 22:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home