Sunday, February 18, 2018

River Hongbao 2018

Last evening, my family and I were at the River Hongbao 2018 at the Marina Bay area, Singapore. The event was billed as a "eleven-day extravaganza of lights, sights, and sounds to usher in the Year of the Dog." There were performances and fireworks, but we were mainly there for the thematic lanterns.

Though this is a Chinese festival event, we were heartened to see people of many races attending. There were Malays, Indians, Bangladeshis, Caucasians, in addition to the mainly Chinese crowd.

We took some photos of the event with our smartphones. The quality may not be there, and we have reduced the sizes for faster loading. Hope you can still enjoy it. 




A section of the crowd.



Year of the Dog!



Snake!


This is a pretty elaborate lantern, as tall as an actual shophouse.



The Wishing Fountain.  People were throwing coins trying to hit the bells attached to the fountain.


All photos by dsnake1 and YunPing





year of the dog

crowds on the Helix Bridge -

on the bay,
lantern lights
city lights.







"you feel you are not alone.
It breathes, it moves with a pulse of our own "

-- dsnake1, The River






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2018

Labels: , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Donna@LivingFromHappiness said...

What a wonderful celebration full of light, art and beauty....I wish we celebrated it here too!

18 February, 2018 22:39  
Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

How beautiful. It must have been magical to see in person.

18 February, 2018 23:31  
Blogger annell4 said...

Thank you for the photos, I almost feel as if I was there!

19 February, 2018 02:01  
Blogger brudberg said...


新年快乐

Wonderful pictures, may the light shine on.

19 February, 2018 04:42  
Blogger Mary said...

Just beautiful! I love the photos and wish I would have seen what you saw. I like the haiku and the comparison of the lantern lights to city lights! Always great to read your work.

19 February, 2018 05:14  
Blogger ZQ said...

Awesome pictures. Thanks... and Happy New Year Cheong Lee !
ZQ

19 February, 2018 08:18  
Blogger Myrna R. said...

How fortunate for you to be there. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

19 February, 2018 10:10  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Donna,

thank you! but the crowd was really huge.:)


Sherry,

yes, the lanterns are really colourful. :)


annell,

thank you!


Bjorn,

thanks for the greetings! :)


Mary,

thanks! the haiku was a cinch to write. :)


ZQ,

thanks! :)


Myrna,

I have yet to visit the Chinatown area. it will be just as vibrant there during this time. :)



19 February, 2018 15:11  
Blogger rallentanda said...

Great pics...wish I were there. Happy New Year !

19 February, 2018 23:12  
Blogger hyperCRYPTICal said...

Thank you for sharing your celebration, and Happy New Year to you.
I clicked onto "The River" and how wonderful your write. The close, of which you quoted, is beautiful
Anna :o]

20 February, 2018 03:23  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

rallentanda,

thank you! :)


Anna,

thank you for checking out the other poem. :)

20 February, 2018 21:07  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

obviousl like your web site but you have to test the spelling on several of your
posts. Several of tthem are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very troublessome to tell the reality however I will surely come back
again.

21 February, 2018 03:06  
Blogger Sanaa Rizvi said...

This is wonderful!! Thank you so much for sharing :)

21 February, 2018 19:53  
Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I much enjoyed the whole post, and particularly liked the cheerful snake pic.

21 February, 2018 21:43  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Sanaa,

thank you! :)


Rosemary,

:D

there are 12 Chinese zodiac animals, but i only posted the snake. and yes, it looks rather cheerful.

21 February, 2018 22:00  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I am so excited I found your webpage, I really found you by accident, while I was searching on Digg
for somethimg else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thank
you for a fantastic post and a all round exciting blog (I
also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to go through it all at the
moment but I have book-marked it and also added your RSS feeds, so
when I have time I will be back to read more, Please do keep
up the excellent jo.

25 February, 2018 03:42  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Hi Anonymous of 21/02/2018,

thanks for the comment. however, if you can point out to me the spelling issues, perhaps i can correct them?

25 February, 2018 22:26  
Anonymous dsnake1 said...

Hi Anonymous of 25/02/2018

Thank you! :)

25 February, 2018 22:29  

Post a Comment

<< Home