Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tampines Bike Park

I am sorry to see it go. This bike park is the only place near my home where we can do off-road riding. So two weeks back I was there to get some long due trail riding when the security told me the park is closing its gates for good in two days time, on the 15th of September. A new town of housing blocks will be built over the land.

In the past years I have regularly gone there to improve my skills in off road cycling. I am still a lousy rider. I have left some skin many times on those gravel and stones. But for those looking for an adrenalin fix (or just for some plain exercise) it is a good place to go. I like the challenge of man and machine against nature.

I am going to miss this place. Cycling in a public park and a trail are different. I will miss the challenge and unpredictability of the latter. So before the place is totally transformed, I took some pictures with my cell phone. The quality is not so good though. Oh yes, it also inspired the haiku (and a tanka, sort of) that accompany the photos. :)




Tampines Bike Park




one of the few trees not zapped by lightning.



evening-
the birds return to the tree tops
to gossip.





elephant grass in the sunset



i think of days
in the tall grass with rifles.

the sunset is brief
it could be longer.

and then the croaking of toads.






a much needed rest after a ride



defying physics-
alloy tubes, rubber and leg power
over mud and gravel.






night is falling
all photos by dsnake1


the moon
trapped in those branches
sighs and sleeps



28/09/2014
**********









Get out and get some play.





© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2014

Labels: , , , , ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is very sad news........more housing obliterating your one respite from city living. I am sorry. I am recently home from visit to the home town where I grew up, once full of orchards - now COMPLETELY full of townhouses. Argh.

29 September, 2014 01:46  
Blogger Nicholas said...

i enjoyed the pictures, the quality makes me think of trance music, hehe. your bike ride is a delightfully concise journey. :)

29 September, 2014 02:28  
Blogger Natašek said...

nice journey :)

29 September, 2014 02:30  
Blogger Mary said...

Very sad when things change, especially when they change in such a way that affect us.....I hear the regret in your words.

29 September, 2014 02:59  
Blogger brudberg said...

So sad when the opportunity to bike dissapears.. I love your haiku and tanka though.. so good you could capture a little before it's built upon.

29 September, 2014 03:24  
Blogger Gabriella said...

Always sad to see a place we like close down. It makes me want to sigh and sleep too.

29 September, 2014 04:05  
Blogger ZQ said...

That is sad. Your photos and your words made me miss something I've never known but have experienced it... in another place. Kudos, my friend.
ZQ

29 September, 2014 08:15  
Blogger Stacy M.S. said...

i'm very happy to come across your blog.

i enjoy your poems. the homage to the bike is touching.

stacy lynn mar
http://warningthestars.blogspot.com/

29 September, 2014 11:30  
Blogger Old Egg said...

What is so good about this is that you could clearly be inspired to feel the words in you as you rode around rather than others (like me) seek inspiration from less active pursuits.

29 September, 2014 14:04  
Blogger Brian Miller said...

nice tribute to the park...how sad that the park is closing...terrible that we have to lose these places...especially when they carry so much memory...and are a place we retreat to for solace...

29 September, 2014 18:59  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Sherry,

i guessed it's the same everywhere. economics and politics at work. :)


James,

thanks for the visit! trance music? hmm..


Natasa,

thank you!


Mary,

yes, where am i going to get my fix? :)


Bjorn,

thanks! i decided to add the haiku and tanka very much later. strangely it took a short while to write them. :)


Gabriella,

i have come to like the place. :(


ZQ,

thank you, my friend. you cycle too? :)


Stacy,

thank you for visiting and your kind comments. :)


oldegg,

well, i used to sit around and play mahjong. :)


brian,

yes, it is a good place. people would say, what's so good about a place of mud and sand and bugs. but they have not seen the monitors and squirrels and exotic birds there, right next to the city. and the close fraternity of the riding community.

29 September, 2014 21:17  
Blogger Carrie Van Horn said...

A sweet goodbye to a beloved place and journey.

30 September, 2014 06:17  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, Carrie. :)

30 September, 2014 21:45  
Blogger Gen Giggles said...

A great tribute.

01 October, 2014 11:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, Mr. Meisner. :)

01 October, 2014 22:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home