Saturday, August 05, 2006

Geography lessons

When I see my kid struggling with her books, preparing for her "O" Levels, it brings back memories of the times that I too, was once like that. I was not half as diligent as her, yet somehow managed to pass. Lady Luck was smiling. I hope she smiles on her too.

I am writing about something from my school days. ( that was, wow, aeons ago).


Map
image by dsnake1

Geography lessons


I loved geography lessons
not most of my class.
Our teacher Mr. Newton from Texas
drawled in an accent that's hypnotic
and lured some of the guys to sleep,
not me.
And poor Mr. Newton won't know
what to do with them,
he couldn't throw a chalk at the deadbeats
not like Mr Tan of Physics class.
So I paid attention
and was quite good,
knew that Bikini was a nuked island
and oxbows were not weapons,
while most of them
fidgeted in their chairs, chewed gum
and hoped that Miss Pang
the sexy literature teacher
would walk past,
just some slight distraction.
And we had a guy
we called Chairman Mao
who would debate fervently
with Mr. Newton
the virtues of communism
over the capitalist pigs,
the proletarian will triumph
over the bourgeoisie
and the whole damn class
would groan
and wish for recess.

27/07/06
********

11 Comments:

Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

I think the trouble with geography classes was that they can be rather dry with the wrong teacher, the kind that sticks only to the textbook text because they don't know the subject well themselves?

It must've have been interesting to have a teacher from Texas.

06 August, 2006 19:00  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yes, he was a very good teacher, don't know why the other guys weren't interested. i nodded off in Chinese class though.

That time our school had some teacher exchange programme going on and we had some foreign teachers around.

06 August, 2006 22:23  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

Ha ha!!!! Seriously funny! Would love to meet that Chairman Mao character!
I've always nodded off during Malay Lit. But my teacher was kind, he always closed one eye and let it pass :)

07 August, 2006 13:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool dsnake.

>>i nodded off in Chinese class though.

>>I've always nodded off during Malay Lit.

I guess we have that in common -- we get bored during our 'mothertongue' lessons. I was always doing something else during chinese lessons (most of the time, scribbling some short story or other.) Chinese teacher gave up on me and left me alone. :D


- Liz

07 August, 2006 14:34  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

medusa,
yeah, he was an unforgettable character but i lost touch with him. He was also brilliant at maths & chinese.

hey liz,
my Chinese teacher also gave up on me, he really tried to help, but i was totally clueless. :D

07 August, 2006 20:46  
Blogger kittyn said...

My chinese teacher gave up on me too... i used to finish essays in one period of lesson instead of the usual two... and still end up scoring among top of the class for essays... so she decided to just let me finish my stuff and let me off for the free period... ended up hanging around the canteen waiting for my classmates... hahaha

08 August, 2006 10:54  
Blogger kittyn said...

I was never any good at geography... my fav was still English Lit and History... and I bet the no. of heads that went nodding during History lessons were a lot more than Geography...

08 August, 2006 10:56  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not most of my clss.

Hi brother, missed something? :)

08 August, 2006 12:54  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Ha ha! kittyn, you are so funny!
>>"and I bet the no. of heads that went nodding during History lessons were a lot more than Geography...

anyway i also passed out my Chineses essays very quick and the teacher cannot make out what i wrote. :D

hey alson,
thanks for pointing out the typo, i have corrected it. How ah? i proof read and still like this?
thanks, bro! :)

08 August, 2006 21:24  
Blogger floots said...

nice one
brought it all back
(as pupil and teacher)
though obviously in the latter role i was the sexy teacher everyone hoped would walk past :)

cheers

09 August, 2006 17:25  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

floots,
hehe, I'll try to picture that! :)

10 August, 2006 00:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home