Sunday, January 08, 2006

christmas 1975


image by dsnake1


To begin the poetry on this blog for the new year, let me start with an old poem i wrote a long time ago.

I was young and angry then, being rejected in many job applications. Drifting in and out of odd jobs, I was generally wasting my time. Life seemed hopeless, I was wandering around with the wrong company. Trying to put things back on track, i wrote this little piece, a sort of a prayer, a promise that i will take stock of my life henceforth.

Please don't laugh, I know it's not too good. ( wrote it in under 10 minutes, almost no revisions). But it's very dear to me, I think my poetry improved after that....

---------------------------

christmas 1975
==============

i ask you not

to chisel my image
in mountain rock

nor to brand my name
in the pages of history
forever

all i ask
is to let me lead
a life i need
to be what is me
to see
the truth that i seek.



christmas 1975
*************

7 Comments:

Blogger Gilbert Koh aka Mr Wang said...

waaaaah! I'm very impressed by the fact that you were writing poems wy back in 1975 .... and that you still have them after all this time!!

09 January, 2006 17:14  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

Nothing to laugh at, dsnake. A reasonable and humble prayer for a world that never makes things easy and often confusing. (IMHO)

09 January, 2006 19:27  
Blogger Alson Teo said...

Sound a bit like Socrates. :)

10 January, 2006 02:42  
Blogger floots said...

a very valid plea from years ago
and one to which i suspect you still adhere (i do)
nice one

10 January, 2006 17:20  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

mr. wang,
yes, a long time ago! earlier ones are unprintable : angry rants, tirades. :)

liz,
have mellowed a lot, but my evil twin is always trying to break out. :)

jack milo,
glad you dropped by, keep visiting! :)

alson,
socrates? more like a desperado! :)

floots,
oh yes, life is much kinder now. :)

11 January, 2006 09:11  
Blogger kittyn said...

it hits a chord in me too... for this is often the plea i had towards my parents.... wishing that they will lead my own life instead of trying to fit me into their ideal mould.

11 January, 2006 10:16  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

kittyn,
glad the poem can inspires. :)

12 January, 2006 21:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home