Sunday, June 20, 2021

a haiku

Father's Day


image by dsnake1



a haiku


missing dad -
sandpapering rust
off his old tool box.



20/06/2021
**********


the haiku is old but it is one of my favourites and i am posting it today.





I remember my dad as a stocky, muscular man, as he works in the construction industry as a carpenter and a foreman. I follow him for a couple of weeks working on a house for a wealthy pig farmer, and I know how tough the work can be. Yet his Chinese calligraphy is very elegant and beautiful, and bold. The people at the clan house would request him to write notices and wedding invitations.

He is a very quiet man, does not say much. When as a child, I got into scraps with other kids, he would just dress my wounds, and not ask anything. He is quite unfazed by anything, except when he once asked me what I was doing with a gang in Newton (I wasn't), and the news of Kennedy's assassination. He has passed on, at a relatively young age, and when I needed strength, I would think of him.






© cheong lee san ( dsnake1 ) 2021

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

It's a wonderful haiku. Also I like your background note about your father, which brings him to life for me – in the unsaid almost as much as in what is said.

20 June, 2021 22:51  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

It is actually a haiku i have published before (and rejected by a couple of online journals).
There are so many things & moments i remembered about my father. The notes I wrote today are, well, enough to flesh him out.
In fact, i wrote this post just today, in a short while. I think i can work well under a tight deadline. :D

20 June, 2021 23:25  
Blogger Magaly Guerrero said...

I love the haiku, the imagery sticks. The same goes for the note, it lingers... And I so love that when things get difficult, memories of your father are there to ease things up a bit.

20 June, 2021 23:49  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thanks, Magaly!
yes, we feel safe around him.

21 June, 2021 00:05  
Blogger indybev said...

What a lovely tribute to your father!

21 June, 2021 00:13  
Blogger Rommy said...

That is a beautiful haiku. I get a sense of his quiet strength in those lines.

21 June, 2021 01:18  
Blogger Lisa said...

That tool box carries a lot of memories. Even my dad, not a handy man, had a big wooden toolbox. I think my brother has it.

21 June, 2021 03:59  
Blogger Jenna said...

I agree with Magaly. The image of the old toolbox is memorable.

21 June, 2021 09:24  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Beverly,

Thank you! :)


Rommy,

Thank you! :)


Lisa,

most of us guys have a toolbox of some sort around, for the minor emergencies. :)

21 June, 2021 10:09  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Jenna! :)

21 June, 2021 10:17  
Blogger Old Egg said...

It is little memories like this that we keep in our minds lonf after they have gone. Hopefully our children too will have recollections such as this.

21 June, 2021 14:40  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

Thank you, Robin.
Hopefully, they don't forget..

21 June, 2021 23:05  
Blogger colleen said...

Sweet memories. I loved that he dressed your wounds without talk or lecture.

22 June, 2021 11:08  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

yes, that was quite a surprise.
Thank you, Colleen.

22 June, 2021 21:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home