Sunday, May 07, 2006

Photo-Poetry Challenge : Photo 3

Soon after the conclusion of the 5th Dead Poets Society (Singapore) poetry writing competition, I pose myself this challenge : write a poem on all of the twelve photos posted for the competition.

My fellow moderator at a poetry forum, Bluesky_Liz, survived NaPoWriMo, wrote a poem a day for the month of April. I applaud her for her effort and discipline. I will not be able to do that.

So I choose an easier one. Twelve photos, 12 poems. Deadline, 8 weeks, end date 2nd July 2006. Posting on this blog. See, looks like a lot of time. Not actually, not with my lousy work schedule, I could not even update this blog regularly.

But I am going to give it a try. And hey, I have actually written three. One, I have sent to the competition, two, I posted in the previous post, and 3, I am going to post it now. Okay, so I had a little headstart, hope you guys don't mind.

--------------------------------------

Letter from a Castaway
photo from Internet, source unknown.


Letter from a castaway

how long i have been here i cannot remembered.
i have stopped scratching the lines
on the walls of my cave, there is no space.

maybe it was mad of me to walk away
from the damn ship but i think it was going
to sink anyway and the captain was crazy.

it's not too bad, this island, except
for the damn rats, they nibbled
at my toes while i sleep.

i talk to the goats like my babies
but the next few days i will have to
slit one of their throats, i need the meat.

i light a fire at the beach everyday
just in case an english ship sails past.
i live in hope that i will return home one day.

another thing, before i forget my name too
i wrote all this down and sealed it in a chest
with the Lord's bible and my pistols

so in later years if they find
my remains they know who i was.


r. crusoe

01/05/06
********

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I talk to the goats as my babies'
What a good line. I write a poem a day and sometime when I am in the flow a bit more, but it can be the devil to keep to that.

08 May, 2006 06:50  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

This is interesting. I like it. But I wish you didn't end with a sign off as "R Crusoe", it causes one to try to compare the things described in this poem with the things described in that classic, and it doesn't have to, imho. :)

Looking forward to see what else you will come up with those photos.

08 May, 2006 19:43  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

david,
thanks for your comments! I can never do that, write a poem a day. I will be a wreck! :)

liz,
I have my reservation of signing off as crusoe, but since the title is a "letter", I just put it in. Maybe i should sign my name instead! :)
Thanks!

08 May, 2006 20:14  
Blogger floots said...

enjoyed this
(but had to tie my hand behind my back to prevent myself from including man friday puns in the comment) :)

09 May, 2006 15:39  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

jon,
thanks for your comments. You have a very unique site. Save the Earth!

floots,
i want the puns!

DP,
friend, i'm thinking, i'm thinking!

09 May, 2006 23:58  

Post a Comment

<< Home