Friday, April 21, 2006

Slog On

bills, bills, bills
image by dsnake1


It had been a hectic week at work. Tough, but manageable. Kept my cool, was even polite on the phone. The next two weeks will be bad, very bad, with the country's General Elections coming.

I didn't have time to write much this week. So I dug out something I mothballed last year, played around with some line breaks, cut it up a little, and here it is. Something about why I must slog on...

Not very good in my opinion, but what the heck.

----------------------------------------------------------


why i must slog on

i work
just to put something on the table
pay the bills
that are strewn on the sofa
like so much fallen leaves.


damn. $95.12 for utilities only?
how lucky.


my kid, in secondary three
thrusts her physics book at me.
flunked her test.
there's another one next week.


what, and you want a webcam?
how much? a hundred and what?
i don't see the....


We go through her books
as if i was back at school
though the day at the office was rotten
this chore i have to slog through


ah girl
can you explain
why $48.30 for SMS?


i work
just to put something on the table
ok it might come in styrofoam boxes
but it's edible.


daddy, not chicken rice again?
i want KFC.


chicken is chicken, dear. chicken rice only $2.50
and by the way, how was the physics test?


you won't want to know, dad.


1/11/05
********

8 Comments:

Blogger temppixie said...

As a single parent I can realy relate to this, the thing is tho I love my work, so even if I didn't have to put stuff on the table I'd still do it! Is that sad?

23 April, 2006 09:19  
Blogger Orso Dorato said...

If i said i knew exactly how you were feeling i would be lying, but i know how tight things can get when money is low, i also know how kids can be when money is tight.

23 April, 2006 10:50  
Blogger floots said...

takes me back
(but makes me glad my kids are now older than me) :)
keep on going
cheers

23 April, 2006 15:25  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

temppixie,
thank you, it must be tough on you.

orso,
how are you? still schooling and working at the same time?

floots,
??? >>my kids are now older than me
heheh

24 April, 2006 08:51  
Blogger Medusa aka expiringpoet said...

That was so honest and so real. Parenthood is tough, ain't it? Must give you a pat on the back, you've come so far :)

24 April, 2006 18:48  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

thank you, expiringpoet!

yeah, things are so expensive here, but we are still ok, hanging on :)

i think the interpersonal part of a family is equally important, like spending time together with the family.

24 April, 2006 22:37  
Blogger Cold Cut Ten said...

Late comment: I like this, it's just so honest. :)

02 May, 2006 21:39  
Blogger dsnake1 said...

liz, thank you.

06 May, 2006 17:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home