Wednesday, September 07, 2005

poem 8 : NightSky and Stars

banner - NightSky&Stars


What myriad secrets you hold up there
we can only boldly guess
Your mysteries, time locked
& unwilling yet to share

What light i saw
could have been born a billion years before

     you are ancient legends, retold over glowing fires
     domains of the gods, we are told.
     In time, as we grew wiser,
     we dared, we probed your dark canvas

Your depth, i could not fathom
the immense distance you span.
If i could live a million reincarnations,
i guess i could not traverse you from end to end.

Tonight, on such a cold night,
in a miniscule niche on a blue planet,
as i lift my eyes to the vastness above,
the stars, they spoke to me in lights of life.

On this planet, spinning, are we.
Solar Planetary System, #3

     ashes to earth to life to earth to ashes
     trilobites in shale, archaeopteryx in amber
     Beatles on wax, memories in silicon brains
     man chasing gold chasing dreams chasing fame

now what light i saw
could have been me a billion years before.

*** DEC 1987 ***

Notes : One of my favourites

1 Comments:

Blogger "ME" Liz Strauss said...

Now it is one of my favorites too.
as i lift my eyes to the vastness above,
the stars, they spoke to me in lights of life.

I know this feeling. I have been friends with the sky from four different continents and felt in each.

now what light i saw
could have been me a billion years before
and that explains what the feeling I had was.

Oh what a perceptive and beatiful work this is. Thank you for sharing it with me.

25 March, 2006 19:53  

Post a Comment

<< Home